Guilt pt. 2 [Belphegor]

The music on your headphones drowns the noise of the busy streets. You pass through the same alley as everyday, stopping at the same fence of everyday to pet the same cat you see everyday. The sun is setting down, casting shadows of your figure as you continue onwards. Soon you arrive at what has become your safe space for the last few months, a park nearby your home that is usually empty by the time sunlight completely disapears; a lonely bench in the middle of the park awaits you, same as everyday.

With the sun gone to sleep, the sky gives way to nighttime. The stars shine faintly, the light pollution consuming what's supposed to be a heavenly view. But you don't mind, delighting yourself on the soft glow of the twinkling dots and crescent moon. Truly, such a beautiful view.

A pang hits your chest, a memory resurfacing from the depths of your mind. You can feel him next to you. His warmth, the comfort of his presence, the soft touches and the side glances. His hand along yours, head resting on your chest and light snores leaving his mouth as he falls asleep. You can recall it so vividly.

You feel sick.

Why do you miss him? How can you miss him, out of everyone else?

Your heart is a traitorous one, and your mind can't accept it. Maybe it's your pride, or maybe deep down you know you're still not ready, but you swallow those feelings, those memories and everything it entails. Coming back home was for the best, everyone knows that.

So why do you still miss home?

Is this not your home?

Getting up, you decide to leave those thoughts behind. You're not the same anymore. You've grown and improved yourself like you never thought you could.

What if he changed, too?

New year, new you, is what everyone says. And you are fixed on keeping it true. No more dwelling on hurtful memories, no more thinking of the past. You must look ahead, keep your gaze fixed on the future that awaits you.

Will he be part of it, too?

The hot shower doesn't help you unwind like you thought it would. You start feeling more and more disheartened, the thoughts only getting worse as more memories fill up your mind. That night, for the first time in some months, you can't fall asleep.

The next weeks are all the same. Wake up, relive the memories; wake up, relive the memories; wake up...

Each night, you would dream of his smile. His hand on yours. His head resting on your chest...

His soft snores...

Why? Why do I keep missing him?

Your mental health is starting to deteriorate once again. It had been quite some time since you felt like this. The reasons were so different, though. And you can't understand how it has come to this point, feeling at an all time low for all the wrong reasons. Such tomfoolery was starting to drive you mad.

Should I return? Can I even go back...?

You feel so stupid, so disgusted with yourself. How can you think of that? Did you forget what made you leave? The pain, the hurt, the tears...

The laughs, the touches, the hugs...

The long nights, shared blankets and snacks.

You find yourself dialing a number you never thought would pop on your screen again. Leaving was the best option for you back then, but is staying here what you want? Is this really what the future has in store for you?

A deep voice resonates inside your head, cutting your rumbling. It calls your name, soft and delicate coming from his lips. "Is everything okay?"

You try gulping down the tightness in your throat. "Lucifer..." Another gulp, a deep breath. "Can I," you start, mumbling, "... come back?"