Chapter 1

Characters from District 1

Glimmer : Female tribute from District 1

Flicker : Glimmer's little brother, age 12

Sparkle : Glimmer's older brother, age 18

Mom/Gemmine : Mother of Glimmer, Sparkle, and Flicker

Crystelle : Glimmer's best friend, age 17

Flicker's Perspective

We were barely even awake when Mom shook us out of bed. "Hurry!" Was all she said. We did hurry, Sparkle and I, but even then we almost missed it. The first thing I saw was a giant golden ball fall from a tree and next to a sleeping Glimmer. It took Sparkle and I both a half second to realize what it was. It split open like a giant egg and tiny hornets flew out, swarming around everyone. The boy from District 12, Clove, and Cato jump up and run. Marvel stumbles up and runs after them. The girl from District 4 woke up, but not before getting stung multiple times. She shrieked and stumbled the direction of the others. Then there was Glimmer, screaming and trying to run as the tracker jackers stung her mercilessly. I tried to force my face to remain indifferent as I watched my sister dying, but I couldn't even stop the tears from pricking my eyes. Even Sparkle, who was usually great at disguising his emotions looked near tears. It was clear that she wasn't going to survive this. Even as the thought flashed across my mind, Glimmer screamed and fell to the forest floor, twitching hysterically, closing her eyes tightly against horrors only she could see. Trying to defend herself against the wasps, and other horrors that weren't even real. "Help!" She shrieks, and her voice sounds nothing like her own. No one returns, not willing to risk their own lives for the dying girl. She reaches for her bow, still trying to fight. She swats at the wasps with the bow, hitting one or two. But the swarm is too large, too relentless, and soon Glimmer lays still. The girl from 12 with the dark hair scampers down the side of a tree like a rodent, wobbling like her drunk mentor. I can't help but hate her right now. She was the one who brought this slow and painful and torturous death upon my sister. The cameras flick to the tree rat girl as she jumps into a pond, afraid of maybe on or two tracker jackers that may be following her. Did she not see how many Glimmer had to face? I glared at the girl on screen, hating her more and more with every fiber of my being. 

After the camera flicks back to the people who survived the attack, (the boy from 12, Cato, Clove, and Marvel) it goes back to the evil tree girl again. I hope beyond hope that she dies a horrible, painful death at the hands of the Gamemakers for killing Glimmer that way. The cannon fires. Tree rat stumbles back to Glimmer, my sweet sister, and grabs her bow. The hallucinations must have kicked in because the tree rat is starting to blink violently and shudder at the slightest touch of Glimmer's skin. I can hardly bring myself to look at her, covered in welts from the stingers with a slight green ooze. Then the filthy girl grabs a rock and starts hitting Glimmer's fingers. The monster! I can't watch anymore and turn away, trying to hide my sobs as I run out the front door. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Sorry that this chapter is very short. If you have any suggestions, I  don't have this story plotted much at all so will try to incorporate them. Thank you for reading this!

-Anonymous Mockingjay