[ Midnight Escapades ]

Apple.
[ Midnight Escapades ] 

Whoever invented the treacherous hour of five AM really didn't know what the joys of sleeping in felt like. Even the frosty summer air didn't wake me up. I hoped that I wouldn't fall asleep driving and crash the car. Mom wouldn't like that.

"I got you coffee," Apple said a tad too cheerfully. She and I were opposites, I knew that much. She was morning person, and I wasn't. How was she able to get up when the sun wasn't even out and be happy about it? I wouldn't know.

"Thanks," I replied, taking the cup from her. The smell instantly worked up my sense, giving some sort of artificial energy. Caffeine was definitely something else.

She jumped on the passenger's seat as Mom and Dad got in on the back once they were done loading their things in the trunk. Zoey and Blake were meeting us there, and Nicole drove with her parents and Gareth.

The ride was long and I would have crashed my car too many times if Apple hadn't been keeping up the conversation. My parents went to sleep—I envied them. Fuck, the first thing I was going to do when I get there was find a bed and sleep the weekend away.

"Something on your mind?" I asked when Apple stopped talking, staring out the window.

She shook her head. "Nothing important, really," she replied.

"Alright." I knew that I shouldn't push the subject on her. She was never really the quiet kind of a person. She always had something to say. She never liked the silence; she felt awkward with the silence like that. Well, there were exceptions.

She was always comfortable when we were alone.

I assumed that it was because we knew each other too well.

And I knew her well enough that she was going to crack soon.

"I don't think that Spencer is the one for me," she stated.

I bit my tongue, holding back a sarcastic remark. It wasn't the time. Apple was going to lash out her feelings about Salvatore and I wouldn't dare to stop her. I'd help her realize that he was wrong for her as well. It would do me better if I tried to push that she and I were better off together, but she was too sensitive for that.

"Why would you say that?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I don't know," she replied, crossing her arms over her chest, starring at the road ahead. "I mean, he's nice and all, and he's really, really sweet and he's super attractive"—I cringed—"but, I don't think that I like him like that.

"Like, I feel like we're just friends," she continued, running a hand through her hair, "It feels really weird and awkward when he kissed me"—another cringe—"and like, I don't know what to do, Logan. Spencer is great, but I just can't see myself with him. At all."

"Then break up with him," I muttered, biting back a grin. Yes! This was what I've been waiting for the past two weeks!

She frowned. "It's not that easy," she retorted, sounding a little distressed. "Like, what do I say? Hi, Spencer, you're cool and all but I just don't think we're going to work out. It's not you it's me. That's really lame, Logan."

I shrugged. Apple was too nice for her own good. "Then tell him there's someone else."

She shook her head, "There isn't anyone else. I suck at lying," she replied.

I wasn't going to argue. Apple sucked at lying. She was the worse liar in the history of liars. One time, when she was going to her high school prom and she'd just broken up with a bastard, she tried her best to look as though she was still fine and wasn't affected. Hell, even her parents knew that there was something wrong.