Chapter 1

It was May 7th the day Draconia was declared victorious in the northern war. The war lasted a long decade. Several lives were lost including the Queen of Draconia who was murdered in ransom by terrorists. Albeit Draconia never once faltered. The crown prince, Natsu Dragneel was the person to end the war when he seized the head of King Rowan of Rimesgate, A cruel dictator of the North.
Now in the year x577 Draconia rules the entire Northern Hemisphere. Today King Jude of Starfell hosts a ball in celebration of troops returning. The crown prince himself has even been rumored to travel far down south to present himself at the ball.

Lucy read the news article in awe. Natsu would be coming to her castle today. Her first and only friend finally coming back, she felt true happiness for the first time in a very long while.

"Lucy!!!" She heard the booming voice of her father. He was searching for her. Most likely looking for a miserable excuse to hit her. What other reason would he be looking for the girl? To the public Jude Heartfilia pretended like he was a perfect king. A generous man who was very protective over his daughter, that's why she was never seen at public events. However, those who worked behind the shadows knew what Jude was. Knew what he did to his daughter. They knew how he was a man who was rapidly blowing all the kingdom's funds to support his numerous addictions.

Lucy stayed hidden as the man continued to call out her name. She was in a cubby hole in the attic,  it was a small section of the roof covered in vines and shrubs. It was inconspicuous enough so Lucy chose to keep it as a makeshift bedroom some time ago. It had a hidden staircase that circled directly down to the forest garden, another safe space of hers to hide from her father.
She waited until the sound of footsteps died off, before tiptoeing down the staircase that led to the garden, she had to prepare for the ball tonight. She knew her father wouldn't want her present at the ball, but she needed to see Natsu.

It had been a long ten years since she saw him. Natsu was twelve and she was eight the last time they saw each other. She still remembers the day vividly. It was summer and everyone knew the young prince of Draconia spent his summers in Starfell with the princess.

They sat in silence together on that hot day. Tensions were high in the North and Natsu already knew he was going to have to experience war firsthand—the Draconian way. Lucy learned of this as well after eavesdropping on one of her father's council meetings.

"Why do you have to fight when you're only 12?" She questioned fiddling her thumbs deep in thought on how to solve the matter without bloodshed.

"I'm the Crown Prince of Draconia. The only heir to the throne. I can't sit out from this, I just can't."

"But-"

"But nothing Luce. This is just how life is. I'm a man now and I'm going to help my dad win this war." He spoke confidently, Draconian men were known for their superior combat skills and their extraordinary military. Lucy knew Natsu would return to her. Just in what condition would that be?

"Anyways why don't you show me that creek you found the other day?"

That was the last day they spent together. Shortly after Natsu left for war Lucy's mother fell ill and passed.

Her life only grew more desolate after that. It was just Lucy and her father, they never saw eye to eye even before her mother passed. Lucy craved freedom, she loved being out in the wilderness enjoying every aspect of life and matter. Her father preferred for her to stay inside and be a proper princess. What used to be slight disagreements turned into heated arguments between her and her father. Those in turn became violent fits on her father's end, It didn't help at all when he drank.

Lucy strolled through the large gazebo in the garden. Waiting there was her personal maid, Virgo, they started meeting in the gazebo after Lucy fled from her real bedroom to escape her father's outrage.