Chapter 1

If someone had told Amy Young one week ago that she would be getting married to a Duke she would have laughed in their face, but here she was, reincarnated into the body of a new bride. Perhaps if she had been able to face her problems one by one they wouldn't have all ganged up on her that day, but she had never been that sort of person. That might have been why she had been so miserable. Yes, she had originally been born into a poor family, with only her mother to support her. She had also had the misfortune of being diagnosed with leukemia at a young age. If her absentee father hadn't been a bone marrow match for her, she might have died before reaching her teens. As it was, the effects of the harsh chemicals and radiation had striped her health, making her a perpetually sickly person. Was it any wonder that she was then bullied at home, at work, and in her most recent relationship?

"This report is unacceptable!" her boss had yelled across the boardroom table after glancing only briefly at the latest document in front of him, "Who is responsible for this?!"

"I'm sorry, Boss." Amy's recently promoted supervisor, Jenna said. "Amy is still learning how to write these reports. I'll fix it for you."

"But, I - '' Amy's voice caught in her throat and she looked down at her hands. It had been Jenna who had written the report. Amy was only ever allowed to complete the spreadsheets, now she was being blamed for her manager's incompetence again. A manager who had only been working at the company a month before Amy herself and, if rumor was to be believed, was known to spend her social time with some of the male senior staff. This wasn't the first time that Amy had been blamed for Jenna's incompetence and it probably wouldn't be the last.

"After six months at this company, I expect better of you Ms. Young." her boss was saying.

"Yes, Sir," she replied meekly. She knew that trying to deny Jenna's accusation during the meeting would only weaken her own position, but she couldn't help the bitter taste her words left her with.

Perhaps the day would have gotten better if she hadn't had a date planned with her boyfriend, but she did or at least she was supposed to. Just as she was putting her things away to go meet him at a bar close to work she received a text.

Kenneth:

Hey, sorry but I have to work overtime again tonight. I'll make it up to you next time!

The message hadn't come as a surprise. Kenneth had been pulling a lot of overtime recently. This was the third time he had rescheduled their date this month. In all fairness, she should have felt upset at this, but all she felt was tired. The constant issues with her coworkers and disappointments from her boyfriend had drained all her energy. It wasn't until she was walking past the bar they normally went to, thinking she would at least get herself a drink before heading home, that she finally felt anything at all. There was her boyfriend, arms wrapped around the shoulders of none other than Jenna. Too shocked to do anything, but stare as the two of them walked oblivious into the bar where her own date was supposed to be taking place, she whipped out her phone and sent a quick text.

I see that your "overtime" is with my supervisor. Don't bother contacting me again.

Numbly, she turned towards the bus stop and home. It didn't really surprise her. If she was being honest with herself she had always known that he was out of her league. He came from a well-off family and was tall, handsome, and confident. While she came from a family that had always struggled, was insecure, and sickly looking even now that her cancer had been gone for years. If she was truly being honest with herself, she couldn't even be angry about it. To her, it just seemed to be what life had in store for her.

It's fine. I'll save money by not going out tonight and instead, I'll stay in and read web novels. She consoled herself with her favorite, free pass time. Reading romance novels online was one of her guilty pleasures and although it pained her to have to read each episode day by day, it saved money and gave her something to look forward to. Reaching the steps to her apartment she was surprised to hear a voice call out to her.

"You're late! Were ya' tryin' to hide from me?"

The slurred voice and strong smell of alcohol identified the speaker clearly as her father even before he stepped toward her.

"Dad? What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Can't a guy visit his own daughter? Just give me whatever money you have on you and I'll be gone," he said, grabbing her arm.

"What? No! I've given you so much money already! Are you gambling again?"

"That's none of your damn business! It's the least you can do since I saved your life!"

"This again?" She was tired of hearing this from him and his constant extortion of her limited funds. It was always the same with him. "You know what? I'm not giving you another penny! I'd rather you had just let me die like you wanted to back then!"

"Bitch!" he sneered and she felt herself get shoved backward into thin air.

That's right, she thought as she flew backward, the stairs were behind me.

There was a brilliant burst of light and pain and then all went dark.

***********************************************************************************************

last edited 2/21/2024 for style, continuity, and accuracy