Chapter 5

The next day dawned beautiful and bright.

I can't believe I woke up this early after everything that happened! I don't even feel sore, in fact, this is the best I can remember feeling in a long time.

She decided then and there that being reincarnated into the body of a healthy woman in her twenties was worth all the trials she had already been through.

Perhaps I should visit the Duke and Duchess this morning. She thought, Is it a custom here for a new bride to visit her inlaws the day after the wedding? Even if it's not, I need a chance to make a good impression now that I'm away from Count Ridgehoff!

Just then the same maid as the evening before arrived.

"Oh, you're awake, my Lady!" she said surprised, "Can I get you anything?"

"Please help me get dressed. I wish to visit the Duke and Duchess this morning and give them my thanks."

"Of course," the maid said ducking through a side door that led to an extensive dressing room.

Rising from the plush bed, Amy walked to the windows and drew back the curtains. The bridal suite overlooked a beautiful courtyard garden blooming with the flowers of late spring. The air was so sweet she felt she could drink it like a tonic.

Who needs coffee when you're healthy and live in such beautiful surroundings?

"Here you are, my Lady," the maid said laying a satin dress of midnight blue on the bed. It sparkled with diamonds and the neckline plunged even more dangerously than the wedding dress of the day before.

"Umm - do I own anything a little more...modest?" she asked.

The maid dutifully went back into the closet and retrieved several more dresses, all of them ostentatiously decorated, all of them with plunging necklines.

I can't visit my new inlaws in one of these! She dispaired.

"Umm, excuse me," she said turning to the maid, "what was your name again?"

"Emma, my Lady," she said with a slight bow.

"Emma, I don't suppose you know how to sew?" she asked hopefully.

"I'll see what I can do," Emma replied.

A short time later, she sat at the breakfast table with the Duke and Duchess. Emma had been a miracle worker and had been able to create a cape-like piece out of some expensive-looking handkerchiefs to cover her bosom and exposed shoulders. She had also been able to remove much of the excessive decorations. Now the picture of modesty, Amy was ready to put her best foot forward.

"How kind of you to join us first thing after your wedding day!" the duchess exclaimed.

"I wanted to give you my thanks for the wedding ceremony and for welcoming me into your home and family," she said.

The duke humphed softly and was quickly elbowed in the ribs by his wife.

"I wonder if you know what your duties will be now that you are here?" he asked.

Amy thought for a moment and one of Estella's memories came to her. A noblewoman would help with the paperwork and accounting for running the estate as part of her duties. This would work out well for Amy as accounting had been one of her major responsibilities at her job in her past life.

"I'm to assist the duchess," she said, "I'm sure your family has its own ways of doing things. I would be pleased if you would take the time to teach me so that I can perform my tasks to your standards."