୨୧ ࣪paper stacks & paper clips (1)

"Need help?"

Jay stumbled his way into the wide office. Black cubes holding people hostage by boredom and frustration, blinding fluorescent lights, and countless tip-taps of shoes is all that Jay could be aware of. It was his first day at work in a sales marketing business. Daniel's sales marketing business where he worked.

While Daniel wasn't the CEO or supervisor of the buisness, he was a 'crucial' part of the company.

"Oh, uh hey! I do, actually. Do you know where I can find Daniel?" Jay asks the man in front of him. He's dressed just like him and every other coworker in the building. A white button up shirt, a blue tie, and black pants with black slacks. Though Jay didn't really have his just as nicely ironed as the other man.

The man put his hands on his hips.
"Which Daniel? Daniel Salazar? Daniel Choi? Daniel Watson? Daniel Diaz?"

"Uhh.. Choi!" Jay exclaimed.

The man's face changes to a huge grin. As if he's in disbelief. "Really? Choi? Does that mean you're gonna be our second little errand boy?"
He lets out a dry chuckle, then begins to turn with disinterest.

Jay's face turns into one of almost being offended personally. His eyebrows slightly bunch together.

"He's in the last 'E' cubicles. You can't miss him. Him and his stupid highlighter green hair.." He almost mumbles the last part as he begins to walk away.

"It's not that bright." Jay says but his words land on dead ears. With that, he begins to walk towards the cubicle section. The entire workspace as a whole quickly becomes maze-like. There's no distinguishing features in anything. It's all white, grey, and blue. The rows of cubicles all looking the exact same you'd wonder how anyone remembers where their spot is everyday.

Jay passes by a cubicle but quickly notices the blur of green in the corner of his eye. Jay steps backwards to the cubicle and finally spotting the back of his green head with small brown roots, he sets a unintentional rough hand on the man's shoulder.

Jay cocks his head to get a look at Daniel's face.

"Hey, Dan! Finally found you in this maze!"

"Huh?"

Dan's face is completely dead. His eyes are sunken and his face is paler than usual.

"Dan, what happened? You look horrible!" Jay exclaims, pulling a spare wheel y chair from a corner, sitting and sliding it quickly towards Dan's own chair.

"What do you mean? Nothing's been going on."

Jay immediately frowns.

"You don't have to lie to me, Daniel. Why don't you.. clock out early, yeah? We can go back to my place and play Smash."

Daniel hesitates. He tries to speak but the lingering piles and piles of paperwork is pulling him back in. He turns in his chair again and sighs. "I can't, Jay. I have–" "Daniel! Where are Martha's sheets? She needs them already she's been waiting on you for an hour!" Another worker almost shouts out, standing outside of Daniels cubicle with their arms crossed. Daniel stays shut, quickly sorting through the mountains of paper to find the specified sheets. "Time's ticking, Daniel."

Daniel feels his anxiety rise up the more he searches and cant find. He begins to make a mess of everything else just to find the sheets. He hears the voices of the urging worker and even Jay, the thinks; but he just focuses on the overwhelming papers and not on the tears that he doesn't feel.

"Daniel!!" "I can't find them!" Dan yells. Beeping machines in the office, calls that were being taken, papers being printed, and small chatter have gone quiet, leaving Daniel's ears ringing. He stares toward the worker who scoffs and leaves, and he would turn to Jay, but he's embarrassed. Jay sets a hand on his shoulder.

"Let's go, Dan." Jay stands up, but Dan doesn't.   He stays sitting, staring at his desk. Jay is about to speak when a knock is heard from the entrance of the cubicle again. A taller man, decorated in a stand out black suit. Contrasting the simple white buttons ups the workers wear. His eyes are tired, even more tired than Dans. His black hair is hanging on by the thin layer of gel applied to it.

"Are you Jay Clarke? Our new employee?" Jay straightens himself up slightly and nods. "I was. But I decided, I don't want to work in a place that lets their workers be taken advantage of. Goodbye." Dan whips his head towards Jay in disbelief. "What?"

"What?" Jay responds. He grabs Dan by his wrist then, forcefully bringing him
up to his feet. "Let's get outta this place. You and I both don't deserve to work here." Jay begins to walk out of the cubicle, walking past the tall man. Dan never leaving his side. The two receive many states as they walk out of the high building. Even stares from themselves. The walk down is silent.

Jay repeatedly presses the button on his car keys to try and find his car. The car repeatedly beeps out in the distance, but Jay still can't locate it. He walks back and forth and side to side, but the echoing of the beeping in the parking lot makes it seem like his car is everywhere. While Jay is practically screaming back and forth with his car, Dan stays in front of the elevator they both got off of. He's wrapped his grey hoodie around his waist and looks around, not really trying to look for Jay's car, but trying. Trying to get his mind off of what just happened. And then he spots it. Or more so hears it.

"Found it." Dan walks towards it, Jay continuing the beeping as he walks with him. "That's no fair. At all." "Maybe you should get your eyes checked." Dan stands outside the cars passenger side. "Never. I know I have top tier sight." Jay grins, beeping the car a last time and opening his side of the car. Dan sits inside as Jay sets his bag in first, then getting in. "You don't. You need glasses." Jay starts up the car, turning his head to Dan with a look. "Does this face look like it'd look good with glasses?"

Dan gives him a look back. He stares for a few seconds with a slight smile then turns his head forward, smile growing as he shrugs. "I dunno."

"That's what I thought." Jay begins to reverse his car backwards, (almost dragging all the cars along with him) and drives out towards his apartment.