Chapter 2

Annabel~

I woke up the next day with a banging headache. My head seemed like it had been ripped and stomped on severally. A groan escaped my lips as I sat up, running my hands through my face.

I looked around the room I was given and sighed in satisfaction. It was small but alright, not too different from what Im used to.

I got up from the bed, walking straight to the bathroom for a bath. I still have to go back to the Steven mansion to pick my things. I only managed to get a few but certainly not all.

I finished bathing, got dressed in a baby blue dress, tied my brunette hair into a high ponytail and applied a bit of lip gloss to my dry and chapped lips.

Today is the first day of my married life. Hopefully its much better than it was yesterday. I stepped out of the room, the scent of chocolate filling my nostrils. My tummy rumbled, reminding me of how hungry I was. I didnt eat last night due to my husband throwing me out of his room. I walked down the hall, observing the fact that Nathans room was at the end of the hall, too far from mine but perhaps thats better. This way I wouldnt disturb him and Ill be able to stay out of his way.

I walked down the glass steps, marveling at how beautiful the entire place looked. Good morning miss, I was on my way to call you for breakfast but you beat me to it. My name is Lily and Im always at your service. A blonde lady of about twenty years piped up from beside me, making me flinch upon hearing her voice.

I mustered a small smile Hi Lily, thank you for coming to call me. I tell the lady. Her smile only seemed to widen the more

Nana was right, youre so pretty. She blurted. I didnt know how to reply to that.

Lillian ! Youre crowding her, take a step back instead of shoving your bad breathe over her face and let her breathe. A sharp voice says, I look behind Hannah to see the old woman from yesterday walking towards me with two mugs. A soft smile laid on her lips.

Yesterday must have been very rough for you so I got you this. Do you like hot chocolate? She asks. I couldnt help but beam as she passed the cup of chocolate to me. I love it. I wasnt allowed to take this at the Stevens mansion. Mother always said I was useless and unattractive, the only way to secure a good and rich husband would be my body shape. I had to diet from the age of ten which generally stuck with me till now so I wasnt allowed to take this. Except when my cousin comes over and I find a way of leaving the mansion.

A shudder ran down my spine on remembering the life I lived in the Steven mansion. Yes, Nathan already made it clear that he doesnt consider me his wife but Im still happy to be here. Its better than the Steven mansion. Here, Im free to go out, free to take hot chocolate, free to eat whatever I want. So yes, its better.

Thank you very much maam. I replied, holding the cup up to my chest before taking a sip of it. The womans smile dimmed lightly as she clicked her tongue

Call me Nana. I am Nathans Nana and youre Nathans wife, you can call me Nana. She says, patting my cheeks lovingly.

Isnt she the prettiest, Nana? Oh, her hair is so full, i couldnt the believe it. Imagine if she could just— Lily didnt get to complete her words though

Thats enough Lily, Im sure Annabel is hungry so its better you start serving. Nana says, chuckling on seeing Lilys expression.

Oh, Im so sorry, Ill get you your food now. She rushed out, mumbling about how incompetent she was. I couldnt help but smile.

Is she always so active? I asked Nana, following her to the dinning space.

Lily? Lily is like that. Always so active but shes such a lovely girl. She replied, pausing in her steps to look at me. A sad smile say on her lips.