Chapter Seventy

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

"I'm going to Paris for a month," Dominic's voice was deep, slow, sleep heavy in his tone.

"Oh." I paused, thinking it over, pressing the phone closer to my ear. "When are you leaving?"

"Next week," he replied after a moment. "I would have told you sooner but with everything..." he trailed off.

It'd been only a week since Mini's funeral.

"I- I understand... Can I ask why?"

"I signed up to attend an aerospace conference. I was accepted about a month ago."

"Oh... okay." I cleared my voice. "That will be fun," I forced a smile to my face, hoping my voice sounded cheerful despite the sudden ache in my heart.

"Should be." He shifted on the other end, paper moving. "I do want to see you before I leave... It's been a while."

"Yeah," I breathed, forcing another smile.

He took a deep breath, "I should go. I have to go to work."

Dominic was distracting himself, pushing down his emotions. He worked constantly since Mini's death, trying to keep his mind busy.

The bar where he worked offered to take two weeks off, but he refused, going in more than he was scheduled for.

"... Okay."

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" His voice had softened. If felt like he was closer, even though I knew that was impossible over the phone.

"Okay," I smiled softly. "Bye."

"Bye," he echoed.

I put my phone on the bed and sat there, staring out the window at the fenced-in yard, the tree moving softly in the breeze.

I wish he had told me sooner, but with everything going on with Mini, the delay was understandable.

The fact that he was going to be gone for a month crushed my heart. We'd call, I knew that, but it wasn't the same as being there with him in person.

I got up from my bed, hoping Clara would be home from work soon. I didn't want to sit and sulk. That only made things worse.

I looked at the time, realizing it was almost two, my stomach growling and remembering I had skipped breakfast.

Despite this, I didn't eat. I grabbed a cup, filled it with water, and drank, wiping away the splash of tears on my face.