Chapter 5: Fall of an Old Friend (Part 3)

On Commander Darc's ship, he and his four lieutenants had been watching the Power Rangers struggle against the corrupted Dragonzord. As the fight progressed, Saffear had grown more and more smug,clearly confident in the crystal covered Zord's capabilities. She had been all smiles when the Rangers retreated as, while the Dragonzord was temporarily disabled, it was clear their Battle Borg had been damaged far worse and the Aquitian machine had been their only way to fight the Dragonzord on its own level. Without it, all she had to do was wait for the Oez Crystal to finish healing the captured Zord and then she could carry out the next step in her plan.

Both her smile and confidence faded when the Amalgam Zords arrived and combined.

"A Megazord?!" she snarled as she waved her hand at the large view screen on the far side wall of the meeting room, "How?! There's no way they could have built those things in a day!"

"Und yet," Doctor Brainborg interjected, "zey are clearly too pristine und modernized to have been simply hidden avay for tventy-five years."

"It seems we, like those before us, have underestimated Zordon's gift for creating new Rangers and their weaponry," Arenay added.

"And it just had ta be a gift that keeps on givin'," Dienay grumbled before looking over in the direction of Commander Darc's chair and suddenly asking, "Boss?"

The raw confusion in Dienay's voice caught the attention of the others and they all turned their heads to see him standing behind Commander Darc's now empty seat. The eyeball covered alien examined the chair, looked under the table, and popped his head back up to ask,"Where'd he go?"

\\

"Remember guys," Jason said as he tightly gripped the control stick in front of him, "However this plays out, we're in it together."

The other Rangers nodded in reply and as one, they directed the Megazord to begin walking forward. In response to the Megazord's approach, the Dragonzord pointed its clawed fingers at the other robot and began to fire a volley of razor tipped missiles. The storm of projectiles either missed or bounced off an invisible barrier that covered the body of the Amalgam Megazord, causing small explosions to erupt on all sides of it. The Power Ranger's fighting machine did not slow down, stomping through the fire and flames that flared up around it.

"Shields maintaining ninety-eight percent efficiency," Amber called out before double-checking the monitor before her, "Currently no structural damage either!"

Rich added, "This is so amazing!"

With the Megazord having drawn too close to keep firing missiles at,the Dragonzord turned to lash out with its tail. In response, the Megazord raised its left arm to block and the limb was sturdy enough that it stopped the tail swing dead in its tracks. The Dragonzord was further knocked off balance when the Megazord used the blocking arm to shove the tail away and, before the older Zord could recover, threw a punch with its right arm. The blow struck the Dragonzord dead center on its chest, shattering the circle of crystal spikes that had grown there.

"Like that?!" Buff taunted as the Megazord pulled back its left arm, "Try some more!"

The extended fingers of the Amalgam Megazord's left hand slammed into the Dragonzord's mouth like a battering ram, shattering the secondary row of crystalline teeth. Looking momentarily dazed from the blows,the Dragonzord stumbled back. Purple energy crackled over its body once more and, in the blink of an eye, the broken crystals on the corrupted Zord regrew themselves to look as if they had never been damaged at all.

"So that's what we're up against," Jason mused.

"That's right," the Pink Ranger said as she gave a grim nod, "andit only gets worse the longer something is infected."