I'D NEVER WANT TO REPEAT THIS DAY

After examining the building, walking back and forth, Akshat declares, "Okay so here's my plan. Since this is not the main door into the godown, I'll go inside, divert their attention from the girl, she'll come out from here and you take her to the rajasthani dhaba we were at earlier. Don't wait for me, just go. Do you understand?" I look at him unbelievably. Is he for real?

"So this is your ingenious plan. And what, you expect me to say 'yes, commander'? How do you even expect me to run away to safety without knowing if you are fine or not? We have no idea how many people are there inside. What if.. what if something happens to you?"

"There are atmost three men inside, not more. I can handle this, don't worry," he assures me.

"How do you know that?"

"I could make it out while observing this place. The more information about your enemies you know, the better are your chances at defeating them. The girl doesn't live here nor does she have any relation with the people inside, they've just brought her in, as far as know. So she'll be ready to run when she gets the chance." It's a lot to take in. I didn't realise he knew so much about the building just by standing outside and observing. Which means his plan isn't stupid, if he knows what he is doing.

"Why can't we just call the cops?"

"If people could do that, places like these wouldn't have remained the same, isn't it? Do you know what you have to do?"

"I know," I say taking in a deep breath.

"Great. I'll go in now. Stay here," his voice is soft. He wraps the cloth in a way such that it covers the portion of his face below his eyes and the turban covers his forehead.

"Akshat-" I call out his name with feeble voice. It's weird calling him with his name. He turns back. "Please be careful. Please-" I feel like I might cry anytime. But I shouldn't. I wouldn't. I have all the time left after we accomplish our mission.

"Think it through, Mishti. Are you sure you care for a stranger that much?" I can't see his smile but his eyes are enough to know that he is indeed smiling. He's anything but a stranger now. Wait- does he remember our conversation at the library?

"I'm not worried about you. I'm thinking for myself, if you don't make it out in one piece, then who will accompany me back home?"

"Are you scared of going alone?" he challenges me.

"No. But I wouldn't mind a company," I lie and smirk at him.

"So you admit that you like my company?"

"Only a little bit." He shakes his head, his silky hair moving back and forth in a smooth motion, and goes inside the building. I wonder why there isn't any lock on the door.

Waiting is the worst task anyone can ever get. My heartbeats raise abruptly as seconds pass, one by one. The feeling of nausea develops in my stomach. At this point I'm so worried about him that I'd even barge into the building. But I remember my promise. So I start counting 1.. 2.. 3.. 4- a loud thud of something falling of the ground almost rips the life out of me. What happened?

I hear the screams of the same girl and then suddenly, they stop. Then I hear the voice of the man who's in there, shouting. I hope he's not caught. Oh God, please, please protect him. He got into this mess because of me. Please don't let anything happen to him.

After what feels like waiting for hours, the door opens without making much noise and a silhouette of a girl appears. As she comes closer I get a good look at her. She's a little taller than me, hair damp and messed up, her body sweating and trembling. It is evident that she was crying. Streaks of dried tears can be easily spotted. She's covered herself with a long black cloth from head to toe. I quickly help her move and try to calm her down.