Chapter 5

As the summer approached, the long-awaited day finally came. As Meleena awoke that morning, a pang of stress and uncertainty hit her before she understood why. She stared at the ceiling, memory returning to her, and she knew. This was the morning of the Light of the Meruyan festival.

She thought back on that influential day at the capital where she had met the Warix and Arenay: people who believed in her, and her gifts. Hope for another kind of future, outside her village. She had spent the year studying and taking school more seriously than ever before. She had stopped ditching it for the forest, reserving her visits and journaling for after school hours. Later, even the journaling lapsed, as she prioritized bringing schoolbooks to read by her favorite ponds and glades. She wondered if she had done enough.

This evening, she and her peers would be assigned their apprenticeships, which would lead to a lifetime role in the village. Tonight would be the final test of whether that year had all been a waste or not. It was nerveracking.

She sat up and peered outside her window. A fog rolled across the lush hills which surrounded the village, like a sheet of glumness over everything. Meleena reached for her journal on the bedside table, attempting to purge herself of the glum shadow of thoughts:

I found out the other day that Talla does all these extra activities on top of school grades. What was I thinking? I can't compete with her. Then again, the Council does take on a few students each year. The failure rate is so high on their council training journey that many of them end up in some meager job at the local Council.

I'm extra nervous because the apprenticeships are announced from least to most prestigious. The council journey apprentices are last to be announced, and anyone leftover without any assigned apprenticeship is really in trouble. They reassigned to apprentice elsewhere, in faraway towns perhaps. Nobody really knows where they go, but they don't return.

I have decided that if I don't get the council apprenticeship, I'll run. Before they call whoever is left, I'll be out of there. I'll steal my father's kelpie from the stables and ride into the forest, and keep going until I hit the Warix lands.

She thumped the journal shut and climbed out of bed, stretched, and dressed. She then filled a running-away bag with most of her other clothing and the journal, before heading into the kitchen for breakfast. She had the rest of the day to enjoy one last stroll through the village—her home until now, Pontai'Desa.

By that evening, the bag had been safely stowed in the stables, behind some barrels of chum for the kelpies. Back in her room, she changed into her pearls and seashell adorned festival gown, then went to find her mother.

"Oh, Meleena dear..." said Vivia from a makeup mirror, marking squid ink carefully around her eyes, turning as Meleena entered the room. "I am so proud of you for your improvements this year. I have faith you will qualify for something." She clasped her hands together and bowed to give gratitude to the water goddess. "After all the trouble, I will breathe a sigh of relief tonight."

"Thanks." Meleena tried to smile but cringed—really inspiring—as if she'd be grateful that any apprenticeship would do. "Where are Tomiyan and father?"

"Your father has gone early to help set up. Tomiyan and his family should be here any minute."

"I think I'll go on ahead and meet you there."

***

Meleena headed alone to the Town hall. Guilt clouded her head. This could be the last night she'd see her family.

It was easy to see the structure from a distance—a goliath seashell, with towering spikes and air holes for skylights, the main valve serving as the entrance—one of the few buildings of Meruyan origin and not the Warix influence. The village was loud with the chatter from excited Meruyan adorned in their best garments, flowing kelpweave dresses and robes of many colors, inlaid with sparkling shells, pearls, and fish scales. Everyone was heading to Townhall—children following their parents, elderly couples holding hands, and young lovers too. Nervous teenagers ready for assignments, their future masters of the craft, and last year's apprentices, one year wiser. They all came to join the festivities.