Prologue

Location: City of Daita, Country of Riland

Date: February 26, 20XX

---------------------------

"Congratulations, Mrs. Bell! You're the mother of a beautiful baby boy!" 

Mrs. Bell held her newborn baby close to her chest. Tears filled her vision as her husband kneeled to get a closer view. She glanced at him and smiled as the baby slowly stopped his crying. 

"A handsome young man already, don't you agree?" 

Ben wiped the tears from his eyes and held his wife's hand tightly. "He has your beautiful eyes." 

A few moments of silence passed before the nurse came into the room after knocking. She wore a mask along with gloves and a protective gown. She sat down in a seat beside the bed and squinted her eyes, smiling under the mask. 

"How are you feeling, mama?" she asked the mother. 

Jackie nodded slowly, her attention now on feeding him. She felt overwhelmed with happiness. "I'm very tired, but I feel good." 

The nurse made an understanding noise under the mask. "I believe you. Having to endure nine hours of labor and the actual process of giving birth is one of the most intense but also beautiful moments a woman can experience." 

"Oh, absolutely," Jackie agreed. "It's such a blessing to be able to become a mother. Ben and I have been trying for about...three years?" 

Ben nodded. "That sounds right." 

The nurse nodded, her eyes dimming for a moment. She composed herself quickly and without notice. "Well, have we decided on a name?" 

Ben and Jackie connected eyes and nodded together. The mother turned back to the nurse. "Elijah Thomas Bell." 

The nurse forced a smile and wrote down the name. "A beautiful name. Now, I just need to take Elijah to do some simple checkups and give him his vaccines. Are you okay with that?" 

Jackie frowned and glanced at Ben. "Um, can't you do all of that here?" 

The nurse tilted her head. "Yes, but it would be significantly faster to take him into the lab and get it done that way. Afterward, all we have to do is make sure you and the baby are healthy and we'll send you on your way." 

They were hesitant to agree, but the nurse made herself seem sincere. She carefully placed the baby into his crib and strolled him into the hallway, still asleep. The nurse ripped off the mask and took out a radio after making sure nobody was around to hear.

"I've acquired Subject Alpha. Given name: Elijah Bell. I've received consent from the parents and he's clear to receive Project Next Gen." 

She waited for a moment until a response came. A deep masculine voice buzzed through the radio. "Wonderful. He'll be the first of many. Take him to room 1-A. I'll meet you there." 

She wheeled Elijah into the instructed room, politely greeting a few patients along the way. There was no way she or anyone else could afford suspicion. She frowned to herself. Was this really okay? Sure, the parents technically gave consent, but she didn't tell them what vaccines the baby was getting. 

The nurse sighed and shook her head to clear the doubt. Everything will be fine. This was for the greater good. If they took the time to explain what the government had planned to the parents of these children, there was no way they'd agree to let them do this. 

She opened the door to the room and was met with a famous face. The Supreme Leader of Riland, accompanied by a guard and a doctor, smiled at her before taking his first look at Subject Alpha. 

"So, this is him."

The nurse nodded nervously. "Y-Yes, sir." 

He stepped forward and admired the baby. "How much does he weigh?" 

She fumbled with her clipboard before finding his basic information. "Seven pounds and two ounces." 

The Supreme Leader smiled. "Good, good. All vitals clear?"

"Yes. Everything is fine," the nurse answered, examining the papers to see if anything was even slightly off. "The baby can't be healthier." 

He sighed deeply and turned to the doctor, who was wearing a white lab coat. "Let's begin." 

"I agree," the doctor said. He made sure his gloves were comfortable and grabbed a tray of medical tools. He first injected the baby with his necessary vaccines before grabbing the last one. 

"Project Next Gen," the Supreme Leader mumbled. "This is the start of a new generation. This moment will be the beginning of a new chapter in history." 

The doctor added, "Momentum will finally be on our side in this tense period. I just wish...we didn't have to take such drastic measures." 

The Supreme Leader put a comforting hand on his shoulder. The nurse herself felt a little bit of reassurance, knowing that she wasn't the only one who knew that this was a blur between right and wrong. 

"War is inevitable, doctor," the Supreme Leader stated. "If we don't do something now, then our entire country will be wiped off the face of this planet. These children will soon grow up and discover their powers on their own, harnessing them while growing in strength. They'll be the greatest weapons the world has ever seen." 

The doctor smiled and prepared to inject the vaccine. "Hevastwa will crumble to its knees at the sight of us."

He pushed the liquid into Subject Alpha's body, and the newborn baby began to cry. After a moment, the doctor stood up. "It is done." 

The Supreme Leader slowly smiled. "We'll see him again before you know it, along with all of the other children that will be a part of this project. For now, let's return him to his parents and wait for nature to run its course." 

-----------------------------------------------------------