11

The capital building stood confidently across the street. It was a few stories high with a wide base on the bottom. Several windows covered the white walls, and a large domed steeple topped it off. It gave off an intimidating aura, and I tried not to let it get to my head. This was the next phase of our adventure, and I had no idea what was to be expected. Would we be successful, or will someone or something prevent us from achieving our goals? 

Emily nudged my arm, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Staring at the building won't make it disappear any faster, or change whatever you have in mind. We're going to have to go in and get it ourselves." 

"You're right. I'm sorry," I nodded, pursing my lips and tearing my eyes away from the steeple. "Something about it seems so mesmerizing. I can't tell you what it is, but..." 

Trailing off, Emily placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder and looked at me reassuringly. "Relax. As long as we work together, we'll be fine. I know it's hard to put those words to use, but you need to listen and trust me. Xavian, too." 

"Okay," I responded, not realizing how anxious I was when I sighed. It was like she could see right through me. It was scarily accurate. "I'm sorry. I'll try to be better." 

She frowned and squeezed my shoulder. "Stop being so apologetic. I don't need an apology. Just take a deep breath and charge through the wall ahead of us." 

"Hey! Check this out!" Xavian exclaimed as I turned my attention to him. He was pointing toward the front entrance. "There's a sign in front of the doors. They're giving out tours of the building. Should we do it?" 

Emily and I exchanged a glance before I nodded. "I don't see why not." 

She wore a doubtful expression. "It seems awfully convenient, don't you think? Why would they want to give out tours of a government building?" 

I understood her logic, and Xavian made a thoughtful noise. "I remember a friend of mine who went on a field trip here and met a lot of the important government bodies. That's probably what's going on." 

He still seemed doubtful, but it was the only explanation he could come up with. It still didn't explain why they were publicizing tours, especially during the peak of a war. Was it a good idea to sign up for the tour? 

Pursing my lips, I faced my friends. "Let's do it. Emily, if you can use the vision that allows you to see the flames, that would help tremendously. I know we don't understand the true meaning of it, but something is better than nothing. We need to stay on guard and keep our eyes open for anything unusual."

"Why are we being so hesitant about this?" Xavian questioned, raising his hands in confusion. "It's just a tour, isn't it?" 

Emily nodded. "You're right. I'm overthinking more than necessary. I'm sorry." 

"No, don't be sorry," I reassured. "I'd rather you overthink and bring something to our attention than keep your mouth shut and have something happen that we're not ready for. The best thing we can do is be on guard and stay on our toes. Agreed?" 

The two nodded. Xavian put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "We got your back, Eli." 

"Yeah," Emily added with a small smile. "We have each other's backs. Go big or go home, right? How else are we going to know where to go after breaking into such a big building?" 

I internally admitted that she was right. We'd be blindly wandering if we didn't take this opportunity to get an idea of the blueprints of the capital building. Even though the fear of danger was strong, I had to overcome my anxiety and take the first step forward. That started with signing up for the tour.