06

I tried to gather my thoughts after she introduced the idea of breaking into the capital building. This was absurd to me, yet she sounded like she'd been brainstorming this for weeks.

"Wait, wait," I interrupted, still trying to keep our voices down to avoid anyone overhearing this insane conversation. "You're serious about this?"

Emily slowly nodded. "Yeah, I am. You want answers too, don't you?"

Of course, I did, but I wasn't sure how I felt about raiding Riland's most important building that could get us thrown in prison. We were both eighteen, so we'd be treated as adults, especially in a case like this.

"Sure, but don't you realize what you're suggesting we do?" I questioned her.

"I need you to trust me on this," Emily reassured. "I've thought this through, and with our combined powers, our chances are significantly better than those of...normal people."

I couldn't help but make a face at the end of that sentence. Our food came, and we took a few bites as I gathered more thoughts. "Emily, all I want is to be a normal person. I've tried to keep this hidden for so long. Suddenly, you see this flame in me that forces me to come out of hiding. I liked being hidden. I liked being normal. I liked not being popular."

"But you're not normal, are you?"

For some reason, her question felt like a punch to the stomach. I wasn't sure how to answer that, so I looked away from her.

She continued. "That's okay, Eli. Look at me. I'm not normal either. I'm a freak that can levitate things and make things float. Yet, I've learned to accept it. It's time that you do the same."

"H-How do I do that?" I asked, looking at her with desperate eyes. "I want to learn how to accept it, but it's hard just to do it this quickly."

Emily's expression softened and leaned in. "Believe me, it took me about a year, if not more, to come to terms with the abilities I was born with. That's why I want us to do this. It'll give closure and the answers we deserve to know."

Deep down, I knew she was right. I wasn't the adventurous type who sought danger and trouble from other people. I was perfectly content with staying in my room and reading a book or drawing on my notepad that should've been used for taking notes.

I frowned. Maybe I did have a rebellious side in me, silently asking to be set free. Was I really about to go through with this? What would happen if we got into some deep shit? Emily's voice told me not to worry, even though she was directly in front of me, patiently waiting for a response. I pursed my lips and raised my chin to look at her.

"When are we going?"

Emily smiled brightly. "That's what I'm talking about. We'll leave bright and early tomorrow. We'll take my car since it's probably better on gas mileage and the fact that it was my idea to go in the first place."

Realization hit me. "Oh yeah, Fera is about two hours away. That makes sense. What time are you thinking about leaving?"

"Um, I was thinking about meeting at the school by seven," she answered after pondering for a moment. That way, it'll give us plenty of time to wake up, get breakfast somewhere, and get on the road by about eight-thirty to nine. What do you think?"

I shrugged. "Sounds good to me. Is it just going to be us going?"

"As far as I know, yeah," she conveyed. "We're the only ones with powers that I've met so far. Have you told anyone about yours?"

Should I bring up Xavian? It's not like he'd be a liability. Besides, Emily said that the more bodies there were, the better off we'd be. I thought for a moment, but she interrupted me with a statement of her own.