Chapter 3

[TW
GORE
ZOMBIE CATS
MENTION OF ANIMAL ABUSE(?)
GUNS
GENDER DYSPHORIA]

Jones shook Kinsely awake softly. He had fallen asleep against Jones' shoulder outside the tent. Kinsely groaned and his eyes fluttered open softly and scooched a bit away from Jones

"Good morning, cutie," Jones said with a chuckle.

"I- uh- morning..." Kinesly said, stumbling over his sentence.

Jones smiled at him softly and stood heading over to the tent, Kinsely followed and rolled up the sleeping bag he hadn't used that night and placed it on his bag.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" Kingsley asked, glancing towards Jones, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really, but it's okay, I'll sleep better when we get to my place," Jones said, trying to reassure Kingsley.

"Oh, okay, so how far is your camp from here?" Kingsley asked, throwing his bags over each shoulder.

"Not too far, should make it there around noon," He said, looking towards the sun, still slightly dipped under the horizon.

"Alright."

Jones nodded at Kingsley and worked at getting the tent down.

Before long, the two boys were back to walking through the path toward his one-person campground. Jones' thoughts kept racing, detaching his attention from the younger boy. Kingsley must have noticed, given his awkward tone as he broke the silence.

"Are... You okay? You're weirdly quiet. It's honestly kind of creepy," Jones snapped out of his thoughts and turned to the smaller boy with a forced smile.

"Oh, yeah, I'm peachy, just thinking about all the cool shit we'll get from this score." He shrugged and moved to pat his satchel full of handguns and bullets. Kingsley rolled his eyes, not buying into the obvious lie, but not saying anything about it.

Their walk was mostly silent, Jones' mind continuously getting lost in his thoughts.

Now and again, the older boy would look to the sky to check the time- or as close as he could guess it to be. They hardly even made any sort of contact with the infected. Jones caught Kinsely looking at him about to say something and then he wouldn't. Finally, after an hour Kinsely asked blankly, "So...what happened to your family?"

Jones stopped dead in his tracks, Kinsely looked at him curiously. The taller boy stared at the ground with an unreadable expression before clenching his fists and taking long, angry strides past Kingsley.

"Nothing happened." His shelter was beginning to come into view.

"Obviously something happened, where are they? Why won't you-"

"I said 'nothing happened!'" Jones turned, leaning over Kingsley aggressively, his arms tight at his side and fists clenched. Kingsley flinched, backing away from the larger male quickly with a fearful expression. Jones' breathing heaved, his expression slowly softening at the sight of Kingsley's scared expression. With a sigh, he turned away from the blond boy, gripping his bags' straps as he began to walk again.

"Don't ask me again," Jones said, his eyes burning into the ground in front of him.

Kingsley hesitated before slowly following behind Jones, staring down at the back of his head.

It took another ten minutes before they finally made it to Jones' shelter. A curtain covered the entrance of an old, rotting wooden building where the door used to be. The inside looked nothing like the outside.

Different kinds of guns and weapons lined one wall, boxes full of ammo lined under the weapons they matched with. Jones set his satchel and bag of food next to the boxes for the time being. Kingsley did the same.