Chapter 2: Brave New World

The Federation's rise to power had started years ago. When the great energy-producing deserts were destroyed, the world powers that depended on them collapsed. And in their wake, the Federation began to rise. The Federation united all of South America under one banner, and devoured everything in its path as it moved relentlessly to the north. After turning ODIN against us, the Federation stood on the doorstep of America, poised for the kill.

They thought we were weak, crippled; prey waiting to be taken. We fought hard and we fought well. We fought them to a bloody stalemate. And here, just beyond the craters of "No Man's Land", we find ourselves in a defensive war against a more powerful enemy.

While we were waiting on our other team to radio us, I found a ball a couple minutes ago and I was playing with Riley. It's rare that I get to play with Riley, after the war started we weren't able to do a lot of stuff anymore. Hesh was watching me play with Riley and we were letting Logan sleep since he didn't get to sleep last night. 

We heard our radios go off "Viking Six, you there? Hesh? Logan? Y/N?" "Copy, yeah we're here. Go ahead." Hesh answered the radio. "Reports are coming in. Dallas got overrun last night. Command wants another sweep of the wall ASAP." "Shit. Any survivors?" "Negative" "That doesn't sound good" I said "No it doesn't" I went back to playing Riley but then I noticed Logan woke up. "Sorry we didn't wake you. Thought you could use the sleep" Hesh said.

Then we heard Riley start growling. " Quiet, boy, Listen. Hey. Riley's got something. Grab your gear, let's move." I grab my gun and we start moving through the abandoned theater that we're in. After we climb up all of the rubble we hear a noise from one of the rooms to our left. We make our way over to the door and we find out that it's just deer.

 Riley starts going after it but Hesh says "Guess Riley was getting hungry. You don't want to eat anything out here, boy. Let;s head back and get you some real food." I smile at Riley. We get out of the theater and we meet up with our second team. After talking with them we started going towards the left side but then

Riley started barking signaling that there were enemies nearby. Hesh signals us to get into cover since we're about to start shooting people. After Riley attacks, we start shooting the enemies that are left, I saw one enemy try to run away and I shot him. "I love it when they run away" I said. Hesh and Logan start laughing. We kept moving and I saw the civilians being held hostage.

I started shooting at the Federation but there were too many of them and they killed the civilians. After we killed all of the Feds I started thinking the civilians dying was my fault. "You OK sis?" Hesh asked me. "It's my fault the civilians died, If I was quicker they would still be alive." "It's not your fault sis I promise you, I love you little sis" He hugs me and I hug him back. "I love you too Hesh" "We need to keep moving" 

We made it towards the wall but there were a lot of enemies that we had to kill. After we killed the enemies we heard helicopters coming towards us so Logan grabbed the grenade launcher that was near us and shot both of the helicopters down."Nice job Logan!" "Thanks." he said quietly. I miss him talking, before mom died he was talking non stop. Once she died, he just stopped talking and it makes me sad. But I know he's my happy brother.

After we killed the enemies we got into the truck. "Corporal Davis, you're on transport, Logan, Y/N, you're on security in the back. "Aye, Aye, Captain" Hesh gave me a look and Logan and I laughed. Then we drove away towards our father.

Twenty minutes later we made it to Fort Santa Monica and I was happy to finally get out of the truck. "C'mon let's go find the old man" Hesh said. We made it upstairs and we found our Dad talking to his team. "Dad!" "I heard about the attack. You guys OK?" "Always" I said to him and he smiled. "Walk with me" and we followed him up the stairs. "Dad, they were executing civilians" I started to frown after hearing that. Logan noticed and gave me a hug.

 "I know. Their recon teams round up scavengers, drifters, hoping to find a way into the city. It's how that took Dallas practically overnight. "So how can we help Dad?" He stops and turns to us and says "Listen, you three...you're the only thing I've got left in this world." "Dad, listen-" Hesh starts but Dad interrupts him. "But you're also the only ones I can trust." "Hey, look, whatever it is, all three of us are ready." 

He looks at all three of us for a second before he says " You three are going to No Man's Land." My eyes go wide, we're never allowed to go there and now he wants us to go there? "For real Dad?" I asked him." We've been on the defensive for far too long. So I'm sending you outside the wall." We followed him out to the balcony. "You'll hook up with a recon team, gather any intel you can on the enemy, and get your asses back here." 

"So where in No Man's Land are we going?" Hesh asked Dad. "Somewhere you know better than anyone. You're going home." My eyes go wide and I look at Hesh and Logan who are just as shocked. "Just be careful, I don't know what I would do if I lost y'all." "Don't worry Dad, we'll be ok I promise." I hug Dad and he hugs me. "I love you Princess." "I love you too dad." We say our goodbyes and go to No Man's Land.

Authors note:

Here's another chapter. The first two chapters might be boring but I'm planning on making the chapters with Keegan a lot better.