Chapter 14: Umbra

As the first rays of dawn filtered through the library windows, casting a warm glow across the room, Alora stirred from her slumber. The sunlight, playing upon her eyelids, gently coaxed her awake. She found Ryu seated on the floor beside her, his back resting against her chair. Groggily, she stretched, her movements echoing the weariness of an interrupted sleep. "What time is it?" Alora mumbled, her voice still heavy with sleep, as she rubbed her eyes. "And why are you on the floor?" Ryu looked up, his eyes reflecting the faint fatigue of a night spent awake. "It's early morning," he replied softly. "You were leaning in your sleep, and I was worried you might fall out of the chair, so I stayed here, just in case."

Alora let out a small tut of concern as her gaze fell upon the towering stack of books beside them. It was evident that Ryu had tirelessly worked through the night, sifting through the ancient tomes in search of answers. In his lap rested a book, worn by time yet holding the promise of secrets untold. He handed the book to Alora, then began the task of reshelving the other volumes. The book he passed to her was a comprehensive history of the kingdom's rulers, chronicling the lineage of kings from the founding of the realm. The weight of history lay in her hands, a key that might unlock the mystery they were so desperately trying to unravel.

Alora pondered the daunting task before her as she scanned the ancient tome. "With a hundred kings in here, and the kingdom's history stretching back millennia, where do I even begin?" she murmured to herself, feeling slightly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of history. As she contemplated her next move, Fern, the spritely fae, zipped into the room, his wings a blur of iridescent color. His concern was evident as he flew straight to Alora. "You both disappeared! I woke up and found you gone; I've been searching everywhere for you!" he exclaimed, his voice tinged with relief at having found them.

He quickly added, "The king has requested our presence for breakfast. We should head to the grand hall." His announcement brought a sense of urgency. Ryu and Alora hastily finished reshelving the remaining books. Alora discreetly slipped the history book into her satchel, feeling its weight as a tangible link to the answers they sought. Together, they left the library, making their way through the castle's corridors, filled with the soft, golden light of morning. The air buzzed with the anticipation of what the day might bring and the secrets that lay waiting within the pages of the ancient book.

As they entered the grand hall, the king, already settled at the table, greeted them with a warm "Good morning." His presence commanded the room, yet his demeanor was welcoming. The king's thoughtful consideration for Fern was evident as he mentioned the specially crafted fae-sized dining ware. Fern, delighted by the gesture, settled into his unique chair, marveling at the miniature plates, cups, and an array of fae-sized delicacies prepared just for him. He thanked the king enthusiastically and began to enjoy his meal with them.

Seated in the grand hall, the air was filled with an easy camaraderie as they enjoyed their breakfast

Seated in the grand hall, the air was filled with an easy camaraderie as they enjoyed their breakfast. The king, with a regal yet approachable aura, engaged in conversation with Alora and Ryu about their journey. "So, tell me more about your travels. What brings you to our elven kingdom" King Zenithix asks Alora. "Well, it's quite a tale. We've been following these visions—dreams, really—that led us here. They've been guiding us, showing us glimpses of the past and potentially the future." Ryu spoke up as well saying "It's been quite the adventure, I must say. We encountered magical creatures, navigated through treacherous terrains, and, of course, found ourselves entangled in a waterfall mishap." "Waterfalls can be tricky. I hope everyone's okay" the King says while smiling warming.