Chapter 19: Dust Walkers

As Ryu and Alora ventured toward the Dust Walkers' kingdom, the landscape unfolding in the muted hues of the desert, Fern's keen eyes spotted a peculiar sight. Stuttering with excitement, he poked Alora, capturing her attention. "Uhm, Ryu, Alora, there's something over there," Fern stammered, his tiny finger pointing toward a mesmerizing creature on the horizon. Alora turned, and her eyes widened at the sight of a long, serpentine dragon-like being. Its slender body gracefully traversed the desert, its white scales shimmering with a subtle pink undertone. The creature's eyes, a bright shade of blue, held a curious intelligence as it approached.

Covered in scales and fur, with horns atop its head, the creature had an enchanting presence

Covered in scales and fur, with horns atop its head, the creature had an enchanting presence. Leaves adorned its head and back, creating a unique harmony with its features. With a horse-shaped face and small ears, it moved gracefully, capturing the attention of the trio. Fern's excitement turned to caution as Ryu instructed them to remain still, not wanting to startle the mystical being. The creature approached Alora, its keen senses detecting intriguing scents. It sniffed around her and Fern before turning its attention to Ryu.

With a slight sense of worry, Ryu observed as the creature investigated his daggers. Tension hung in the air, but to everyone's surprise, the creature shifted its focus back to Alora. It nudged her satchel, prompting a chuckle from her. Reaching into the bag, Alora pulled out a large, red, shiny apple. Holding it out, she realized the creature's intent. The magical being accepted the offering with delight, wrapping its body near Alora as it crunched on the apple. Alora's hand moved gently over its scales, establishing an unexpected connection between the trio and this otherworldly creature in the heart of the desert.

In the midst of the opal expanse, Ryu and Alora watched in awe as the mystical creature formed an unexpected bond with Fern. With each movement Alora made, the creature gracefully followed, displaying an uncanny connection with the group. Fern, filled with pure joy, flew over to the creature and perched on its back, giggling as it playfully carried him around. As the creature ran and frolicked with Fern, Ryu and Alora shared a moment of relief, observing their friend having a carefree and joyful experience. The worries that had burdened Fern seemed to dissipate in the magical play between the small fae and the enigmatic creature.

Eventually, the time came to leave the opal expanse and venture into the canyon areas. Alora reached out to the creature, gently preventing it from following them into the desert. She explained to it that the canyons were its home, and it should stay where it belonged. As a token of gratitude, Alora gave the creature a piece of bread, and with a final glance, the trio continued on their journey. Alora and Fern turned back for a last farewell, waving at the creature. In response, the creature looked at Alora with warmth and understanding before gracefully turning around and disappearing into the opal expanse, the magical connection between them fading into the vast desert landscape.

As the sun sank lower, casting long shadows over the vast expanse of the canyon, confusion set in among the trio. The approaching darkness heightened their unease, and a heated debate between Ryu and Fern intensified. The map, once a reliable guide, became a source of contention. Ryu, with a determined glare, insisted on their current location, while Fern, flitting anxiously, argued for a westward shift. Alora, perched on a rock nearby, observed their squabble with a mixture of amusement and exasperation. Rolling her eyes at their persistent disagreement, she decided to explore the surroundings. Bored with the ongoing debate, she strolled to the edge of a deep ravine that cut through the terrain. Peering into the darkening abyss, she spotted something intriguing around the bend.