Chapter 26: The Final Fight

In the aftermath of the unexpected reunion, Zakai wears a mask of confusion, Fern's expression hardens into anger, and Ryu, seemingly unperturbed, extends a friendly hand towards Alora. His smile exudes warmth as he expresses his joy at seeing her again. However, Alora, her discomfort evident, takes a step back, and Zakai instinctively moves forward, sensing her unease. Concerned, Zakai suggests, "Maybe we should talk somewhere else." Ryu, brushing off the suggestion, looks at Zakai and casually remarks, "You don't need to stick around anymore; you can go home." Alora, fuelled by a mix of frustration and anger, points her finger at Ryu, challenging him, "How dare you leave us and then come back and dismiss Zakai after he stayed with us because you left. Go home to your girlfriend you share such a special bond with."

Undeterred, Alora marches towards Ryu, her anger palpable. As she gets done talking, she huffs out of anger and Ryu flinches as she pushes her finger into his chest angrily. He pleads, saying, "No, Alora, you don't understand. I love you; I would've never left if I had another choice." The air thickens with unresolved emotions as their tangled story takes another unexpected turn. Perched on Alora's shoulder, Fern, his eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and confusion, interjects, "What do you mean if you had a chance? You could've just never done what you did." His question hangs in the air, demanding an explanation for Ryu's actions and unraveling the intricacies of their complicated history.

~ Ryu 1 Week Earlier ~

As the night envelopes the castle, Ryu, Alora, and Fern make their way to their sleeping quarters. "If you want to protect your girlfriend," the queen murmured, her words draped in secrecy, "come by my office tonight." Ryu nodded in understanding, concealing the weight of this exchange from his companions. As the night embraced the castle, the stage was set for revelations shrouded in shadows. In the shadows, Ryu hesitated at the door to their room, his instincts wrestling with the uneasy premonition that had settled within him. As if driven by an inexplicable force, he leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on Alora's forehead before slipping out into the night. The castle corridors echoed with faint footsteps as Ryu made his way to the queen's office. The soft glow of moonlight filtered through the windows, painting the stone walls with an ethereal glow. He approached the door, finding Queen Marisela perched on the desk, wrapped in a robe that hinted at shadows of intentions. A subtle discomfort crept over Ryu's features as he averted his gaze, emphasizing his disinterest.

Alora, stirred by the whispers, opened her eyes just in time to catch them in the act. A twinge of concern painted her features as she silently pursued the sounds down the corridor. The castle's stillness enveloped her as she treaded softly through the moonlit halls. In the hushed confines of the queen's office, Ryu confronted the unexpected proposition that hung in the air. "What is going on?" he queried, a subtle tension lining his words. The queen, with a calculated smile, drew him closer, prompting a reflexive tensing from Ryu. Her proposal unfolded, a dark bargain that sent shivers down his spine. She spoke of a deal – his love in exchange for Alora's safety from Aro's clutches. His eyes narrowed in disbelief. "You wouldn't do that," Ryu asserted, a trace of desperation in his voice. The queen, with an enigmatic laugh, affirmed her intentions. "Oh, I most definitely would," she declared, her words weaving an ominous undercurrent.

In a whispered threat, she urged him to choose swiftly, alluding to Alora's approaching presence. "Better choose quickly; your girlfriend is coming down the hall," she hissed. "Kiss me if you want to protect her." With a conflicted heart, Ryu, aware of Alora's proximity, made a choice that would set in motion a series of events neither he nor the queen could predict. He did kiss the queen. He couldn't stomach kissing her lips with threats of hurting Alora. In the quiet aftermath of Alora's departure, Ryu exhaled a silent sigh, wrestling with the consequences of his difficult decision. Marisela, wearing a smug smirk, approached him, asserting confidently, "You will grow to love me soon."