Prologue

In the hushed stillness of the hall, the mourners gathered, their footsteps barely audible on the polished floor. They approached the body that laid lifeless on the floor, their faces etched with grief and loss. Once, the hall which had echoed with laughter and joy, the infectious energy of the woman who now lay lifeless. She had been a beam of happiness, a constant source of warmth and cheer for her neighbors and all who knew her.

The girl in her teens, despite the burden of overwhelming grief, remained composed, her hands moving mechanically as she prepared for the cremation. Her face, devoid of any emotion, masked the pain that gripped her heart. But her eyes, those gave away the emotions of her soul, betrayed the agony she desperately tried to hold onto. The weight of sorrow weighed heavily upon her slender shoulders.

The hall fell silent as the door opened and three men, accompanied by a boy of the same age as the girl, and a woman entered the house. All eyes turned toward them as curiosity filled the air. The guests, caught in a moment of collective anticipation, gazed at the unexpected visitors, wondering what connection they held to the girl and the deceased.

The four stood tall, their presence commanding attention as they made their way through the somber crowd. Their expressions were etched with sorrow, hurt, pain, emptiness, sadness. As they reached the girl's side, the guests respectfully parted, creating a path leading to the body that laid upon the floor. They approached the girl with a genuine respect, a gesture of support.

In unison, the hands of the guests joined once more, this time towards the young girl, expressing their empathetic condolences. The girl looked at her brothers, the presence of her brothers however fleeting, was a reminder that she was not alone in her grief. The eldest Rajpoot, his eyes reflecting the emotions the girls held in her eyes, he approached the her and softly held her trembling hand. Wordlessly, he offered his unwavering support, standing by her side as an unwritten promise. Together, they prepared to face the finality of the moment - the cremation of their loved one.

As the priest guided the eldest Rajput to perform the Mukhagni, he looked at his brothers, who stepped forward without a word, and together they lit the pyre. The emotions their eyes held gave away as the three of them hugged their elder brother and let their tears fall. The elder one embraced them; however, he held back his tears, providing the comfort his brothers needed.

The girl stood aloof, away from them all gazed upon the flickering flames, her mask of composure began to crack. Slow tears welled up in her eyes, finding solace in the memories of the one they mourned. The fire consumed the life that was, transforming it into ashes that fluttered away on the wind. The sorrow held within her, bound so tightly for so long, was finally released. She fell down on her knees and wept plaming her face, her tears mingling with the glowing embers.

The brothers witnessed her anguish and immediately encircled her, forming a protective shield against the overwhelming weight of her sorrow. Yet the girl didn't lean into anyone's touch for comfort, and the boys didn't know what to do or how to offer her the comfort she needed. The woman who came with them bent beside the girl and gently took her in her embrace. Her heart went out to the girl as she saw her swallowing down her tears and the cold barriers were up in her eyes. Yet she embraced the girl; she was her husband's sister, his child. She understood the brothers' reluctance, but at least she could provide the comfort and warmth the girl needed.

The family returned to Shanti Bhavan. Everyone settled down on the couch without uttering a word, lost in their own thoughts. The eldest Rajpoot looked at his sister, who sat there numbly staring blankly at the wall. The girl sitting in front of him looked nothing like he had seen her last time; she had grown up into a beautiful woman. However, the coldness in her eyes and the stoic expression on her face were shocking to him. He got up from his place and sat beside her, gently holding her hands in his own. "Kriti!" he called out softly.