Chapter 5: Storytime and Stargazing

I slowly awoke that morning, I didn't feel like getting up just yet. I turned my head to see Ermine was gone. She must be up already. I thought with a fond smile. After a few more minutes, I decided to get up and go see what Ermine was up to.

As I was walking through the line of trees, I could hear voices. I slowly approached, and I sat down next to Ermine.

"So this is Tempest? Nice to meet you. I'm Clearfrost, and this is my younger sister, Nightwave." I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "Are you two part SeWing?" I asked, giving the two hybrids a kind smile.

"No, we're part IceWing. My sister's name is unique, they weren't thinking at the time, they were probably to excited." Clearfrost said, laughing quietly.

"So... what are you two doing here? Just out of curiosity," I asked, giving the two hybrids a curious look. "We're just exploring, and plus, the rainforest is pretty!" Clearfrost said, smiling warmly. I laughed quietly and nodded in agreement.

Ermine's P.O.V

I smiled shyly up at the two hybrid dragonet's. I still stayed close to Tempest. "Hay, Nightwave! How old are you?" I asked her while looking up at the NightWing/IceWing hybrid with a shy smile. "I'm six-years-old!" The younger hybrid exclaimed with a wide grin.

I smiled shyly at Nightwave, she was really nice and so was her sister. It was silent for a while, then Tempest spoke up.

"What are you guys going to do after your visit here is over?" The SeaWing asked, tilting her head to the side curiously. "We've been invited to join the Jade mountain academy!" Clearfrost exclaimed cheerfully. Tempest and I both nodded in agreement.

Tempest's P.O.V

I was glad that we had met more dragonet's, it would bring Ermine out of her shell. At least... hopefully it would. I was happy nonetheless, we spent the rest of the day getting to know both Clearfrost and Nightwave.

"So... are you two going to be attending the jade mountain academy as well?" Clearfrost asked with a curious expression. I put my talons on my chin in thought. "Maybe... I'm not sure yet, but I'll think about it." I finally replied after a few minutes of silence.

•••

I was practically bubbling with excitement. Today's Ermine's birthday! I turned to the other dragonets with a bright smile on my face.

"You guys ready? Everything's in position?" I asked, and they all nodded. I grinned and looked in satisfaction at our handy work.

"Ermine's never been one for liking big parties... but this time... I'm going all out!" I cheered, happily.

"Hey Tempest? I have a question. Is Ermine part of the circles?"Nightowl asked, tilting her head to the side with a curious look on her face. I thought for a moment before I answered.

"Yes. Ermine is from the circles. But we'll talk about that later." I said, focusing on the task at hand.

"Anyways... we're getting off topic. Let's start the plan. Alright, you guys ready?" I asked, and they nodded.

I was grinning widely as I guided my friend to the middle of the rainforest.

"T-Tempest? W-what a-are y-you d-doing?" Ermine asked, sound nervous. I just laughed quietly and told my friend to open her eyes.

"T-Three M-Moon! Y-you g-guys d-did all o-of t-this?" The IceWing asked, looking around with wide eyes. I laughed quietly and nodded rapidly in response.

"O-oh, M-Moon, y-your h-here t-to? H-hi." The IceWing said looking at Moonwatcher in surprise.

"Of course I am silly." The NightWing replied with a laugh, and a kind smile in the IceWing's direction.

Moonwatcher's P.O.V

I laughed quietly at the shy and nervous IceWing dragonet. One thing that I had learned today was that Ermine is a huge bookworm, she always has her nose in a scroll.

Speaking of Ermine I turned to see the IceWing was reading a scroll while Tempest was sitting beside her, the SeaWing was apparently a bookworm as well.

"You two are like me, I love reading scrolls to. But you two dragonets are more into books it seams. I walked over and sat next to the two younger dragons and I peared over the IceWing's shoulder.

"Hay, Tempest, Ermine, Moon. Isn't it time to go to sleep?" I turned to see Clearfrost staring at us with amusement shining in her eyes. I laughed quietly and curled up to sleep. I didn't bother the SeaWing and IceWing dragonets, they would sleep when they were ready. So with that, I let myself drift off to sleep.

Clearfrost's P.O.V

"Hay Tempest? Yesterday you told us that Ermine's in the circles, but you didn't elaborate, could you explain it to us now?" Nightwave asked, lifting her head from the lake.

Tempest nodded and explained what the circles were and how they work.

"Ermine is from the circles, though she's much more... open in her opinions about it... Most of the time she's pretty quiet and she tends to keep to herself when I'm not there." Tempest explained, answering for Ermine.

"At the meetings that the older IceWings have every few months... let's just say she's caused some IceWing spikes to rattle." Tempest added, clearly poking fun at her friend good-naturedly.

Ermine just sighed and rolled her pale blue eyes at Tempest.

"Haha, IceWing puns. Hilarious and original! What's next, coming up with the cool and cold jokes?" Asked the IceWing with a mix of betrayal and a pout on her face. But Ermine was clearly being sarcastic. There was no mean spite in her tone when talking to Tempest.

"Ohh... I get the joke! But what are the circles?" Nightwave questioned, tilting her head in confusion. Ermine looked up from her scroll briefly and added.

"The IceWings have rankings and they go up depending on how high up in the circles you are. Most of the IceWings are really... lets just say there all pretty cold to others. They are also very strict in their traditions." Ermine quietly explained.

"IceWing Royals are instantly placed at the highest ranking in the circles. I'm from the circles, I'm pretty high up in the rankings but I don't really agree with the IceWing aristocracy." Ermine quietly explained, though the IceWing's expression changed slightly at the mention of the circles.