Chapter 4

I can't believe how people are here just to greet the new VKs. The only greeting party we got was Becca, who nervously reminded us about curfew, and Ashton, who kept calling Cole "Coley boo" maybe things really have changed.
—————
Pastel-clad students, teachers, and parents gathered eagerly on Auradon Prep's front lawn to greet the school's newest Isle additions. Throngs of curious Auradonians had flocked to the event and were milling about the well-groomed gardens, converging under the King Luke statue and clustering on the school steps. They were all beyond excited to welcome the second wave of villain students to their side of the sea.

The Auradon Knights marching band, wearing snappy blue-and-gold uniforms, blasted out a toe-tapping number as the school's cheer squad shook their pom-poms and rallied the growing crowd. Cole's parents, Luke and Ariana, mingled among the crowd, looking as proud as ever of their son and his efforts to rule the kingdom with kindness. The royal couple smiled at each other, noting all the electrified citizens who were waving homemade Welcome All posters, flying painted Reunite banners, and holding cheery flower bouquets.

Queen Dinah and her grandson, Ashton, son of Sleeping Beauty, stood near a row of meticulously trimmed hedges. The two looked on with considerably less enthusiasm than most. Ashton's mouth formed a serious line, and his brown eyes were unsmiling. He pulled at his long ash-brown hair—which was newly streaked with pink and blue—straightened his pink leather ensemble, and frowned at all the hoopla. Auradon Prep did not need more evil-offspring students. The first four had been more than enough for his taste.

The rest of Auradon, however, felt differently. A giant video monitor was set up to stop the school's battlements to carry a real-time feed of the Isle's barrier opening. Welcome to our new VKs blazed across its screen. A formal royal guard detail stood in their pressed gold uniforms around the lawn. The king's stretch limo, now painted purple in Harry's honor, sat parked and ready to go in the circular driveway. In a few moments it would be crossing the barrier to pick up the four new VKs.

Many Auradon students, like Becca's daughter, Jade, were eager to befriend their new villain classmates. Jade held tightly to Justin's arm as he told her all about the twins. She couldn't wait to meet them.

Liam, son of Dopey, was equally enthusiastic. He waited next to Calum in his full band uniform—complete with brass buttons and a tall gold hat—excited to finally welcome the famous Jesy. Calum had shared many stories about his precious Isle friend. Calum laughed with delight, flirtatiously took Liam's arm, then noticed something out of the corner of his eye. "Here they come," he gasped. Liam and Calum shared knowing looks filled with happy anticipation. Then Liam took hold of his drum major baton and started to lead the band in an upbeat tune.

Harry and Cole made their grand entrance into the packed festivities. Harry surveyed the bustling celebratory scene, quite pleased to see the newest VKs would be greeted with more excitement and fanfare than he and his friends had been when they'd first arrived. He was amazed by how things in Auradon had truly changed.

Cole adjusted his golden crown, which bore the Hemmings family crest, and stepped in front of the crowd to speak. Harry moved to join his crew, but Becca blocked his path. "Oooh, stay." said Becca, looking proper as always in a conservative powder-blue dress.

"Stay here?" asked Harry, taking his place by Cole's side on the stage. The couple waved to the jubilant crowd. Harry, who had once found the royal wave rather awkward, now performed it like a pro.

"Bibbidi-bobbidi, one two, one two. Can everyone hear me?" asked Becca, testing the microphone. "Cole," she said pointedly, and passed him the golden mic.

"Thank you, Becca," said the king. Then he broke out one of his trademark warm smiles that put everyone at ease. Cole had really come into his own as the leader of the country. His approval ratings were off the charts.