Chapter 5

What in the Des?
—————
A crowd of Isle kids and has-been villains stared at the shiny purple limo in awe. Its sparkling finish stood out against the dingy film seemed to cover everything on the Isle.

Chris, wearing a striped shirt and a red cap, hugged his two mini mes and gave them each a quick kiss on the head.

"All right, boys, let's hit the road," Michael said enthusiastically, throwing his arm around an anxious Corbyn, who wore one red glove on his right hand.

"You're gonna him soon, okay?" Justin reassured a fearful Asher, who wore one red glove on his left hand. "C'mon," he added gently, and walked Corbyn toward the car. Justin, who'd been filled with trepidation himself during his first trip to Auradon, empathized with the twins. But he knows the sweet boys would flourish in their new environment. And he would be there to look after them.

In contrast to the nervous brothers, Jesy was ecstatic about traveling to Auradon. She'd always dreamed of living in the magical land and couldn't kick-start her new adventure fast enough. "Do you have everything?" asked her grandmother Lady Germanotta, looking grim as usual in her high-collared crimson dress. Her hair, piled in a colossal pompadour, only added to the wicked grandmother's stern air.

"Yes I have everything!" exclaimed Jesy. Her hair was fastened in two topknots secured with a turquoise flower barrette she'd made herself. She couldn't wait to create her signature accessories out of all the rich materials she'd find across the bay.

"Are you sure?" asked Lady Germanotta. Her voice sounded cold.

"I'm sure, Granny."

Lady Germanotta raised her eyebrow questioningly. "Oh, really?" She held up a small object.

"My glue gun!" gushed Jesy. She couldn't believe she'd almost forgotten her prized crafting tool.

"I don't know what you're going to do without me," remarked her grandmother, feigning indifference.

Jesy took her hands to her chest and replied sincerely. "I'll miss you."

"Go on, go on," said Lady Germanotta. She tugged at her brooch, fighting hard not to show emotion.

Calum, who'd been watching the touching exchange, gave Jesy an encouraging wink. Jesy threw her arms wide open and surprised her granny with an enormous heartfelt hug. Then Jesy skipped with glee to join the others leaving for Auradon Prep.

Last to approach the car was Navia, dressed in a wild multicolored skirt and jacket and flanked by Cole and Harry. "Let me get this off of you," Harry offered, reaching for Navia's backpack. But Dr. Robinson's plucky, independent daughter wanted no help. She flung her backpack into the trunk with attitude.

"Oh," Harry said, laughing.

"Okay, let's go and do—" King Cole stopped mid-sentence as Navia strutted away toward the limo without acknowledging him. "Let's do this," he finished, sharing a laugh with Harry. They could tell Navia was going to be a handful.

With everyone squished tightly in the vehicle and buckled in, Michael climbed into the driver's seat and revved the engine. He grinned and devilishly as he steered the limo down the narrow streets and railed it around the neighborhood's craggy corners. He rocketed the royal car toward the enchanted bridge that would magically appear to connect the dismal Isle of the Lost with dazzling United States of Auradon.

Inside the limo, the VKs buzzed with anticipation. It was the first time any of the younger four had been in a car, and it showed. There were so many shiny buttons to press and switches to pull. Life in Auradon was already more fascinating than life on the Isle, and they hadn't even left yet.