Chapter 22

The thing is I don't think I can be the king of Auradon everyone expects me to be. I can only be the kind of king that's true to me.
—————
One week later, Harry and Cole's engagement party was in full swing on the multileveled terrace overlooking Auradon Bridge Plaza, Auradon's was a magnificent tree-lined court with four decks connected by blue carpet-lined stairs. It was the ideal setting to celebrate the joyful occasion.

Harry was the picture of grace in a metallic-orchid suit, elbow-length lilac gloves, gold peep-toe booties, and a gold tiara with purple and blue stones. Cole also looked dashing in a sharp three-piece blue suit sans tie. He took Harry's arm in his, and together the gorgeous couple walked through the tunnel and into the party in progress.

"There they are," announced Calum, who gave off an air of sophistication in a structured midnight blue suit of his own design. He looked at Liam, who stood by his side in a mint-green suit and blue shirt. Harry and Cole weren't the only ones in love.

Harry and Cole grinned at their friends, then at each other as they took in the festive scene. Uniformed waiters circulated throughout the plaza, balancing silver trays piled with gourmet canapés. Jubilant party guests in chic cocktail dresses and stylish sport coats mixed and mingled. Jesy, dressed to the nines in a black-and-moss polka-dot frock, spun between Corbyn and Asher, who both wore blue-and-white-striped tailcoats. The swanky event was a definite first for the improvised Isle kids.

Harry waved to the guests, then smiled kindly to Ashton. It was Ashton's first public appearance since his recent touch with evil, and he looked himself again in a beaded pink off-the-shoulder suit and his demure bluebird necklace.

Cole kissed Harry's hand, then escorted him up the stairs to the plaza's balcony. The king clinked his crystal punch glass to get everyone's attention.

"Sir Harry and I want to thank you for celebrating our engagement with us today," he told the crowd, before turning toward his future groom. "I couldn't be prouder or happier to call you my king." With a wide smile, he looked back at the celebrating masses. "So raise your glasses to our future king of Auradon!"

The guests all raised their glasses high in the air. "To our king of Auradon!"

"Speech, Your Specialness!" shouted Justin, all dressed up in a black-and-white paisley jacket and skinny-cut black pants. Smitten, Jade stood by his side in a cornflower lace midi-dress and her one-of-a-kind Jude necklace.

"Speech, oh fancy one!" yelled Michael, laughing. The gold embroidery on his sport coat reflected the glow of the twinkle lights. With his hair tied up in a tidy man bun, he clapped for Harry. He deserved it all of it.

Harry looked at the expectant faces that surrounded him, especially those of the villain kids. He shook his head. "I can't. I can't be king of Auradon."

The room stirred. Calum gasped. Cole's face dropped.

"I can't turn my back on the Isle," Harry explained to him quietly.

He addressed the crowd again. "We made a decision to close the barrier forever. It was my idea. But it's wrong," he admitted. "I've learned that you can't live in fear. Because it doesn't actually protect you from anything. You never know where the heroes are going to come from, either. Without Sabrina and her pirates, Auradon would be gone. And without Des, my father, Ashton would be gone."

The crowd reeled at the new revelation. Harry absorbed their reactions and continued. "We are all capable of good and bad, no matter which side of the barrier we come from." He raised his head with the clear insight and strength of a leader who was able to see the complete nature of his people for the first time.