Chapter-2: I unexpectedly meet the Green Ninja

Turns out we have absolutely no talent in songwriting.

I was sitting on the couch with a piece of paper, brainstorming lyrics. Camden was beside me, seeming as frustrated. Viktor paced back and forth silently, Ajax glanced out of the window, deep in thought.

We were at Viktor's house, which was a two-story building right on the street where the Dairy Dragon was. Usually, we bought ice cream along the way as we visited him.

Viktor was a tall guy, he had tidy black hair, square glasses and he usually wore a brown jacket with him. He smelled like coffee, I wasn't sure why at first, but I noticed he drank a lot of coffee. Viktor sipped his coffee mug.

My brain was empty, I glanced around the living room. It wasn't a huge living room, it had a long brown couch Camden and I were sitting on and several armchairs arranged around a coffee table. In front of me was a tall lamp beside the wall the Television was hung on. The walls were coloured a shade of yellow and the floorboards were made of wood.

"Anyone? Any ideas?" Ajax mumbled, swishing his pencil around. Ajax is a short guy, with shoulder-length black hair, he wears glasses too. He was wearing his baggy grey hoodie, with tattered jeans. He sometimes looked like a girl more than he looked like a guy, but he's a guy.

"No," I mumbled, sweeping my feet on the floor. Your greatest mistake was assuming I could write songs, Ajax. Which I can't.

"...something like...Beyond the Stars?" Camden chimed in, his Mohawk was combed down so his hair looked weird and messy. I had no idea how he got his Mohawk style again. But, it's probably just that I don't have any talent in hairstyles.

"Sounds more like a band name or an album," Viktor yawned. "My head's empty, so thanks for coming up with an idea at least."

Camden smiled. "Maybe we can work on the instrumentals? It's easier to figure out the lyrics then," he added.

"Wouldn't it make a lot of noise? Electric guitar and drums are loud." Ajax said, putting his pencil down.

"That's the fun part — that's the fu—" I stopped myself from finishing when Mr Vance, Viktor's father came over.

"Son, are you done with your project?" Mr. Vance eyed Viktor, his voice was dry and raspy. He looked as if he hadn't slept for days.

Mr. Vance worked at Borg Industries, I suspect the job was hard. A lot of bad things happened at Borg Tower. It must've been terrifying, at one point that's where the Overlord was. I mean, imagine working in your office and suddenly your boss is possessed by the literal embodiment of evil, every machinery starts going nuts, and the alarm systems are blaring everywhere. I don't know about you, but I wonder how people could work there and still be sane.

"No," Viktor replied, swallowing his saliva.

Mr. Vance nodded, he edged away to the stairs to head upstairs wearily.

"Beyond the stars we go..." I mumbled, tapping my finger on the couch.

Camden's eyes widened, he glanced at Viktor, who immediately started writing.

"When the skies fall and there's nowhere to run. Follow our instincts, go on and there's nothing to see," Camden stomped his foot to make beats as he rapped. "Fly high. I want to see—"

"How the World goes on beyond our stars," I interrupted, a smile formed on my lips.

We continued scribbling and writing for an hour until we came up with the final version. One song is done, there's more to go and we haven't even started the instrumentals. Ajax said he'd come up with it soon. Just that we wait.