A Deal has been made

"Why would you help me find out who killed my uncle?" I asked, I needed more information before I could decide if I would go along with this deal he had proposed. "Because he was a good friend of mine and I need information, information that I can also get in another way, but that would take me too much time" he replied to me, too much time? Did he have any idea how long it could sometimes take to find any information at all?

"How about I invite you to brunch and then we discuss everything else?" he suggested, he really assumed that I would agree. Unfortunately, his deal was too interesting to turn down, the police couldn't get any further and so maybe I could find peace if I knew the reason why my uncle had to die. "And what exactly gave you the impression that I was interested in the deal?" I asked unnecessarily, he knew as well as I did that I would listen to his proposal and then decide whether I would accept the deal.

"If you didn't care why someone killed Jonathan, you wouldn't still be living here in Mystic Falls for 6 months after his death, and also regularly reminding the police of their duty to find the killer," Elijah revealed to me that he had done his homework, and that meant he knew exactly what he had to do, to get me to cooperate.

So, 20 minutes later I found myself in the Mystic Grill with a steaming cup of coffee in front of me and opposite Elijah, who had also ordered a cup of coffee, he seemed so normal, as if he was human, but I already knew that this was not the case. "What exactly are the terms of this deal?" I asked, if I was going to make a deal, I wanted to know what I was getting into.

"There's really only one, don't deceive me, or I'll be forced to use lethal means," he replied, trying to intimidate me with his condition. "Then I also have a condition, if they betray me, it has consequences for them, I personally don't like to lie or deceive others" I demanded a condition for my part. I didn't like it when people lied to me or hid something from me or cheated on me, enough so-called friends had experienced what it meant to betray me. The look Elijah gave me proved to me that he thought I was only human, I couldn't do much against him, but there was one thing he didn't know and that was that I was in possession of a dagger, that in combination with white oak ashes that could incapacitate a primordial vampire for a time, a stopgap solution as my uncle had described it. I didn't intend to use it, but if Elijah didn't give me a choice, I would use it.

"Then we have a deal, I'll send a courier over later today with the information about the rituals, if you still need it, let me know" he closed the deal and paid for the drinks to then leave the restaurant. I was left wondering if I hadn't just made a big mistake.

After I had finished my coffee, I also left the restaurant and went to my car when I was approached by a young man with raven-black hair. "I just saw you with Elijah, do you know how dangerous this guy is?", I rolled my eyes inwardly, why did men always think that women had to be saved from other men? I was certainly not a weak girl, "First of all, it's none of her business who I meet with, and secondly, I don't even know her, so I prefer not to be warned without being asked" I answered the man I didn't know and got into my car, I left him and drove back to the house, that my uncle had bequeathed to me.

A courier was already waiting outside the house with the data Elijah had promised me, and judging by the thickness of the envelope, I would spend some time learning the ropes. After the courier had disappeared again, I entered the house and closed the door behind me, the silence that spread was almost deafening. What had I gotten myself into? I had made a deal with a vampire, had I actually gone crazy? Of course, I must have gone crazy, after all, I was still here, even though I could have returned to my chosen home the Netherlands a long time ago. But I couldn't leave without finding out why my uncle had to die, and I wanted to know why he had never told me about the supernatural, there weren't just vampires, werewolves and witches, I couldn't imagine that there were certainly more supernatural beings, only they had managed to hide better.

My phone snapped me out of my thoughts, when I looked at the display, I recognized my best friend's number, "Hey Bee, how are you?" I greeted her after answering the call, "Hey Mar, tell me, how long do you want to stay in whatever the name of this village where your uncle lived, "Until I know why my uncle was murdered and I still have something to do, a friend of my uncle asked me for help" I twisted the truth a bit and concealed the fact that I had made a deal with Elijah. It was better for Bee if she didn't know too much. "That sounds interesting, is this friend hot?" she informed Elijah and I could imagine how she already imagined what this friend looked like and what she wanted to do with this friend. "You know I'm not interested? And I honestly have other things to do besides worrying about whether my uncle's boyfriend is hot or not," I corrected my friend. She knew I didn't care how handsome or hot someone was.

That didn't matter to me, and Bee knew that, but she couldn't stop reminding me that I should take the chance and get to know someone. "You already know that the reason I'm still here is not to meet someone, it's not really the situation where I'm looking for a friend, I have other things I need to sort out," I reminded her. "I know, I know," Bee relented and told me about her new job and what else had happened since I lived here in Mystic Falls. I hadn't missed much, only that my so-called friends had already forgotten about me, because I had spent the last few months cataloguing my uncle's possessions, deciding what to do with them, and trying to reach family members who hadn't had any contact with Uncle Joe in years.

Hardly any of the family members were interested in Uncle Joe, and they didn't want to have anything to do with his owner. I knew that my family was distant and hardly anyone had any contact, but so little interest had shocked me and then angered me, because it was still a life that had been snuffed out for no reason. Little did I know that I would soon learn more about my uncle, who would put him in a different light.