Confusion

My uncle's voice filled the kitchen before it appeared on the screen. It was so unreal to see him again, alive, not with his throat cut. It was still full of life and was so stark in contrast to the image I kept in mind. "Marlin, when you see these video recordings, you've met my good friend Elijah Mikaelson," his voice echoed from the laptop's speaker. "I was hoping that it wouldn't get to the point where I could tell you about the supernatural myself, that you're watching this video now, does it mean that the hikers made it and stole something important," I paused the video, the hikers? I already had more questions than I would get in answers.

I made a note of the walkers and then let the video continue, an amulet and a grimoire had apparently been in his possession on the day of his death and he had a premonition that he didn't have long to live, so he had recorded this video, and emphasized that I could trust Elijah.

This did not match the letter he had written to me. What exactly was going on? However, before I could think about it any further, the doorbell rang and Elijah opened the door, I heard a female voice telling him that she wanted to make the deal. What kind of deal?

I left the kitchen and found Elijah with a young woman, she couldn't be older than about 19, she seemed nervous and yet here she was. "I'm a man of my word, but I expect you to stick to the deal," he let her know before turning to me and introducing the young woman as Elena Gilbert, adding that she was a Petrova doppelganger. Exactly what my uncle had warned me not to tell him about, my thoughts were running wild. How was it possible that he knew this?

"What exactly should I do?" Elena wanted to know from him as he offered her something to drink and pointed to the couch in the living area where they were supposed to sit. "Don't work against me with the Salvatore brothers, I can make sure that nothing happens to you, but to do that I have to be sure that you don't intend to do anything against me" he clarified and stopped next to me, I could clearly feel his presence, only now did I realize how his presence was noticeable. A slight tingling sensation danced over my skin, the hairs stood up and even though this was supposed to scare me, it felt strangely pleasant. The young woman assured Elijah that she wasn't planning on him, but my gut told me she was lying. Why would she lie? I would ask Elijah what exactly was going on and what it all had to do with the young woman who seemed to be a Petrova doppelganger. Where had I gotten myself into? The more I learned, the less I was sure that this was real. About 5 weeks ago I didn't even know that vampires existed, let alone werewolves, witches, doppelgangers who seemed to be supernatural as well. "If I find out that the Salvatore brothers are planning something, the deal is null and void," he clarified, and I was aware that he was as dangerous as described in Uncle Joe's documents. But that didn't explain why he had saved my life, and if he really wanted to show this video, why didn't he have the DVD with him?

So much didn't make sense and I would find out the truth, but first I had to focus on the situation that was unfolding in front of my eyes. "That's the only one? I'm supposed to stop Stefan and Damon from doing something against you and you're going to make sure nothing happens to me?" she asked, looking first at Elijah and then at me.

Her eyes were filled with suspicion, and I didn't blame her. If I were in her situation, I would probably react in a similar way to what I had found out on my own so far, was that Petrova doppelgangers were often used in rituals. If I could believe the documents, Petrova doppelgangers had special blood, and this was often used to perform rituals. Where exactly had I gotten into? Almost a year ago, I hadn't even known that vampires and the like existed, and now every new evolution that revealed new supernatural beings seemed to become just another note in my own mental notebook.

"Yes, I have contacts who will help me to protect your life," the original vampire confirmed to her and with that the deal seemed to be made. I was amazed at how quickly she agreed, but I hadn't experienced for myself what Elijah was capable of.

The young woman left his rented premises and left me alone with him, the questions that burned on my tongue and the emotions that my uncle's video had triggered left me speechless. Apart from the fact that the house I had called my own for the last few months now had to be just a ruin. Elijah, after all, hadn't stayed to see if the burglars had survived. Not that I cared, if I was honest. If Elijah hadn't been there, I wouldn't have survived.

Even though it was still a mystery to me what exactly had motivated him to save my life, he did not seem to me to be the philanthropist whose impression he conveyed.

His voice snapped me out of my thoughts, he seemed to have asked me something, but I hadn't heard him. "Would you like to eat something?" he asked me again, without a trace of irritation, why was I still looking for signs of irritation? I had been out of prison for over 13 years, and I still couldn't get rid of some of the behaviors. "No, thank you," I answered his question, suppressing the impulse to apologize directly that I hadn't heard him directly. Apparently, I could see what I was thinking on my face, which he pointed to the laptop, "In addition to the video, he has created various folders on the laptop, they are password protected and after everything that happened today, I would be surprised if you don't need some time to organize everything".

He put a glass of water on the kitchen table and left the kitchen, it was his way of saying that he gave me space to organize my thoughts and find out what exactly my uncle hadn't told me yet and why he had given me totally different warnings. The letter in which he had warned me and then now this video. Why had he changed his mind so drastically?