Chapter 1

Camp Toccoa, Georgia - 1942

"Lieutenant Sobel, Lieutenant Winters," the old colonel stood behind his desk, cold blue eyes surveying the pair who stood at attention before him. "At ease, I have an announcement to make."

"What is it sir?" Sobel asked rather sharply in Dick's opinion. Sink paused for a moment and his eyes flickered towards Dick then back to Sobel. Dick didn't like that movement. It usually meant that bad news was coming. "Easy Company will have a new medic joining their ranks." Shock registered on both Lieutenant's faces but Dick quickly composed himself. His superior on the other hand did not. "May I ask why, sir?" Sobel demanded. Sink sighed. "Regiment say it will be better to have more medics in the field and that the one they are sending is the best for miles around." Sobel nodded at that, pleased that it wouldn't be someone who would fail the reputation he had built around Easy. "Another thing, Lieutenant, the new medic is a female." Dick felt his mind would explode from this second revelation. Why would Sink think sending a woman to Sobel's command could possibly end well. Sobel wanted the best, nothing but the best and Dick knew a woman fighting as a soldier would be considered far, far below the best in Sobel's mind. "I expect that she will be treated just like the other men, Lieutenant. Just because she's a.. well she, I will no doubt be hearing that she is properly trained and briefed as a soldier." Sink's gaze turned to steel and his voice hardened at that statement. A brief smile graced Dick's face. So Sink knew how Sobel would react as well. Sobel nodded stiffly and saluted as the colonel dismissed him. Dick went to follow, however Sink called out after him.

"Yes sir?" asked Dick wondering if he was in trouble for something. As if he was a mind-reader Sink assured Dick nothing was wrong. "Just wanted to ask you a favour Dick. As you've no doubt thought, Sobel won't be the most welcoming to our new recruit and will probably give her a hard time. I want both you and Lieutenant Nixon to keep an eye on things and report back to me if anything happens that I should be aware of."

"Yes sir," replied Dick feeling a sense of relief flood his body. He knew both Nix and himself would keep a very close eye on Sobel over the next few weeks. They were both devoted to the well-being of their men and did their upmost to keep spirits and attitudes positive despite Sobel's constant criticism and snide remarks. A new medic, especially a female, will definitely need some form of guard against both Sobel and the other men who might not take too kindly to a woman in their ranks.

"One last thing Dick. The new recruit. Well.. she's," Sink started but another officer knocked on his door and he hurriedly got to his feet. "Never mind. Dick I have to get to a meeting now so you head on back to Easy and tell only Lieutenant Nixon what has been said here, understood?"

"Yes sir," Dick nodded. Sink dismissed him and Dick headed towards Easy's officer barracks in search of his friend. On his way he pondered what it was that Sink was about to tell him concerning the new medic before he had to leave.

"You look lost," remarked a familiar voice as Dick reached the barracks. Nix was leaning against the door frame clearly eager to know what he was allowed about the meeting Dick had just had. Dick rolled his eyes in response and followed his friend into the cramped wooden hut that served as their home at Toccoa. With the smell of fresh wood flooding his senses, Dick lowered himself onto a hard oak chair and began to regale Lewis with the orders and announcement from Sink.

"A female medic eh?" Lew asked with a slightly sly edge to his voice.

"Yeah and Sink wants us to make sure she is looked after and given no special or different treatment to the other men." Dick felt a slight worry at the look on Lew's face, after all, he was another soldier who had been starved of female company for the past few months. "That includes you Lew," he emphasized.

"Me? I'm always looking out for women," remarked Nixon with an expression of fake hurt in his eyes. Dick had to laugh at that. His friend may be married but he never lost the chance to express an interest in other notably younger ladies and tell Dick details that he rather wished he had never heard. Lewis Nixon may not be the most faithful and devoted husband but Dick knew that he was loyal to any he considered to be a friend. Provided the new medic could get along with sarcastic comments and dry humour, Dick felt reassured that Nix would follow Sink's orders dutifully.

"You know it's true," continued Lew, determined to prove a point to his rather uptight friend. "After all, I introduced you to your wife and she's my childhood and best friend."

"Fair play Nix. I suppose Jess is the one girl you haven't bored off with your humour," came the smart reply. Nix sighed and shook his head as he reached for his flask. He took a sip and paused for a moment waiting for the liquor to burn through his throat before replying, "is that jealousy I sense Mr Winters?" Dick merely scoffed and closed his eyes to enjoy a brief period of peace before Sobel would come charging in with some other pointless exercise idea.