Chapter 6

"Pornography, contraband." Dick was standing with the other officers of Easy Company, watching their CO ransack the barracks of Easy's men. "Non - regulation clothing, contraband." Sobel sounded exasperated at what he was finding. He continued to tear apart the men's belongings until he reached a certain bed. Dick noted the gleam in Sobel's eyes as he bent down and yanked open the bedside drawer. As he pulled something out, Dick recognised a familiar shiny object as the light caught it. "Lieutenant Winters!" Sobel turned sharply, the object swinging in the air in front of him. "Why do you suppose this is in your wife's bedside drawer?" Dick inwardly cursed. Dangling between Sobel's fingertips was Jess' pendant, the small star twinkling in the light along with three rings. "Does she like to keep a collection of rings that she coins' the men out of?" Sobel drawled. It took all of Dick's willpower to not punch Sobel in his smirking face.

"No sir. That is not what the pendant is. I imagine that she took it off to avoid losing it. It's a family heirloom." Dick gritted his teeth to remain calm as Sobel stalked over to him. He scoffed and dropped the pendant which Dick caught and held close to his chest. "You better look after it for her then."

"Yes sir, I will." Sobel started to criticise the men again but Dick chose to ignore him. Instead, he carefully tucked the pendant into his trouser pocket and made a mental reminder to find Jess and return it to her as soon as they were freed from Sobel's scrutiny.

"Come on J!" Guarnere yelled with glee as Jess managed to pin down Luz's arm. The look of shock on his face made Jess laugh heartily. "Shoulda' learnt that not all broads are flimsy little dolls, eh J?" Malarkey smirked at Luz's embarrassment.

"Pay up then Luz," reminded Jess, holding her hands expectantly in front of her. Grumbling, Luz pulled a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and placed it in Jess' awaiting hands. "You don't even smoke J," Malarkey said.

"Yeah but I know a bunch of fellas who do." Jess smiled slyly. "Besides, I like to have a means of getting what I want." At this remark the men around her started to laugh and cheer. "That's our J!" laughed Guarnere. Footsteps approached and Jess looked around to see Nixon walking towards her with a grin on his mischievous face. "What's made you unnervingly happy?" asked Jess as she pushed herself away from the table and rose to meet her friend. Nixon didn't reply, instead he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and steered her towards the officer's barrack. "Seriously Nix, what's happened?" Jess tried again but failed to stop herself from giggling.

Dick was sitting on a hard wooden chair reading his book and just trying to catch a few moments of rare peace. That peace was shattered when the door flew open and Nix came marching in with Jess right beside him. "Nix, what -?" Jess started to speak but Lew interrupted her and gestured to Dick who suddenly felt rather self - conscious.

"You notice anything Jez?" Nix smirked. Dick felt himself flush as Jess' stormy eyes trailed up and down him searching for what Nix was talking about. "Nope, just seeing my husband looking slightly less composed than normal," she remarked eventually.

"Look a bit closer to that new shiny bar on his collar.." Nix trailed off as Jess' eyes snapped straight onto the new addition to Dick's uniform. Her gaze then travelled upwards and met Dick's eyes with her mouth slightly agape. "You got promoted?" Jess asked, her voice just above a whisper.

"Jez, meet your new First Lieutenant," Nix smiled with hidden pride in his dark eyes. Dick gave a small smile to confirm that what Nix had revealed was in fact true. Jess' face lit up and she launched herself at Dick, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him. Dick could practically feel the love and pride in her embrace as he hugged her back. "I think I'm gonna be sick," joked Nix. Jess stepped back and playfully slapped her friend on his arm. Nix laughed and slipped out, leaving the couple alone.