Chapter 7

Jess slumped onto her bed, freshly changed and observed the tired, grumpy men around her. Sobel had made them run up Currahee faster than ever before. However, due to the rich food that the men had only just consumed, many of them had to run whilst throwing up. It made Jess' skin crawl with rage and frustration. Sobel hadn't allowed her to treat anyone until they all had made it back down to the bottom. Now, sitting in their barracks, Jess reflected that Sobel was a serious threat. If he really stayed in command then Jess reckoned they wouldn't even get into war before they were all killed.

"I hate that man," grumbled Guarnere sitting opposite Jess on his own bed. She smiled sadly in agreement, fiddling with the chain around her neck for comfort. Guarnere tilted his head slightly in curiosity. "What is that pendant exactly?" Jess closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Talking about it always brought her bad thoughts about what the Nazis were doing in the various countries they'd invaded. "It's an heirloom that is traditionally passed through my family from each mother to their eldest daughter. My mum left it to me when she died. I was only seven." Jess' eyes misted over slightly but she held back the tears and took another calming breath.

" Jess' eyes misted over slightly but she held back the tears and took another calming breath

"Does it represent something?" Guarnere asked.

"It's the star of David. It represents my Jewish roots from my mum's family. They were originally from Germany actually but fled during the First World War. My great - grandad hated what the Kaiser was doing, said it went against everything Germany should stand for. He left with my great - grandma to Poland. There they had my grandma who then fell in love with a Polish soldier. They married and then they all moved to England in search of a new life. My mum was born and met my dad on a trip to America. They fell in love and she moved to America to be with him. I was born in New York, near the Nixons. I've lived in America my whole life but occasionally visited my maternal grandparents who still live in England."

"Whoa, so you're a Kraut?" Guarnere spoke in astonishment.

"Yes, but make no mistake. I may be proud of my roots however Hitler is no true German. As far as I'm concerned, he's a weak, cowardly Austrian who hides behind more impressive generals to seem strong." Jess spoke bitterly and Guarnere saw the pain in her eyes. He smiled encouragingly at her. "I'd agree with you there J. He's no true German." Jess raised her gaze and met Bill's. His dark eyes filled with anger at the thought of Hitler but also sympathy and pride. She knew at that moment that Guarnere would always have her back. "What are the rings for then? They also family heirlooms?"

"No. One is my wedding ring, one is my engagement ring and the third one is a birthday present from Dick when we first started dating."

"Wow, he sure knows how to treat a woman." Guarnere laughed along with Jess. She nodded, a soft smile on her face and Bill realised how much she truly loved her husband. 'Good,' he thought. 'They deserve each other.'

Jess stifled a yawn and stretched her arms above her head

Jess stifled a yawn and stretched her arms above her head. The chatter of men around her was filled with excitement. She sat up and quickly changed. Today they would be completing their training jumps. If all went well, they would be paratroopers by the end of the night. Jess walked over to Guarnere and Malarkey who were squabbling over a pack of cigarettes. "C'mon, we're heading out now," she informed them. They all turned and followed the rest of Easy out of the barracks and over to the field where a Sergeant was waiting for them.

"So, do we feel like we're ready to be army paratroopers?"

"Yes, Sergeant," Easy yelled back. Dick stood beside Nix and Sobel behind the Company who were sitting in the field listening as the jumps were explained to them. They would have to jump five times and then they would officially be paratroopers. Dick could sense the apprehension but eagerness of his men. He wasn't worried about them, they would all pass this test. He was, however, worried about Jess. She was sitting beside Malarkey with a rather solemn expression. No one would notice at first glance but Dick could see the fear in her steely eyes. Once the Sergeant finished, they all followed him over to the aeroplane and sat down in their jump order. He found that he would be the first to jump and turned to Nix who was sitting beside him. The plane's engine started and they took off.

They had been flying for only a few minutes when Jess heard the Sergeant yell "get ready!" She took out her hook and when the Sergeant yelled again they stood. "Hook up." Jess' hands shook slightly as she attached herself to the wire and her breathing started to speed up. Desperately trying to calm herself, Jess started to fiddle with the webbing on her and then Guarnere's before confirming that he was 'ok'. They started to walk forwards and Jess' heart was thumping loudly in her chest.

She saw Dick by the door; before he jumped he turned his head and gave her an encouraging and reassuring smile. Then he was gone, quickly followed by Nixon and the next man until it was Jess' turn. She swallowed back a feeling of nausea, fixed her gaze straight ahead and tried to ignore the blood pounding in her head. The Sergeant cleared her and she pushed herself out of the plane, closing her eyes as she did so.

Freezing air rushed past her face and Jess couldn't help but open her eyes and look around her. The parachute opened above and slowed her descent. She turned her head to the ground below and felt her nausea resurface. Jess gulped and raised her head back up, closing her eyes until she felt her feet hit solid ground. She disconnected herself from the parachute and looked around her at the rest of Easy Company scattered over various fields. She had done it. Jess grinned giddily to herself and laughed out loud. She had fucking done it.

"You're happy," commented a familiar voice to her right. Walking towards her was Guarnere with Perconte. Jess stood, swaying slightly and rolled her eyes. "I just jumped out of a frickin' plane. Of course I'm happy." Jess gave them both a hug.

"Yeah, you looked terrible in that plane," commented Perconte. Jess nodded in agreement. "I hate heights," she admitted.

"Yet, you volunteered for the airborne?" Perconte seemed impressed. Jess smirked. "Sure did. Guess I forgot about the part where you have to jump out of a plane." Guarnere laughed and slung his arm around her shoulders. "One down, only four left then we're all paratroopers, no matter what Sobel believes." Together the three of them headed back to the rendezvous point to complete their next jump.