Knock, Knock: Who's There?

Maybe it's just my imagination playing tricks on me, or maybe there really is someone sneaking in the station. I hold my breath and try to listen. One, two, three, four—there it is again! That sound, like feet shuffling over the floorboards, as of an animal pacing back and forth with unbelievable impatience, opening one door first and then another.

A thunder suddenly shakes the building, and the room lights up. My pulse ramps up.

I decide to follow the sound. I slowly open the door of my office and make it to the corridor. So far so good. Once I reach the foyer, I look up the old staircase and galp. That will surely be a tough one. I stand perfectly still and lift one foot, and as it hovers over the first step, I hesitate to move.

Another deep thunder rattles the windows, and I jump in fright. Great, now I'm afraid of thunderstorms too. I shake my head and turn my attention to the staircase again. I have almost put my weight on the first step, when suddenly the lights go off.

Darkness immediately envelopes me, making me freeze once more. I shiver as a cold wind brushes against my skin. Wait, where's the wind coming from? And then it hits me. They must have broken through a window upstairs and left it open!

I don't waste more time. I carefully climb the windy staircase, hoping to remain silent, but the steps still find a reason to complain.

"Shit!" I whisper, already out of breath. I reach the end of the stairs and peak over the corridor.

Darkness. Not a sound can be heard, only the rain tapping on the windows. Tap...tap...tap. Yet something isn't right here. My pulse roars, and confusion flashes through me. That's when I notice a shape in the nearest window. A reflection.

I whip around, a cry breaking from my lips. But nothing. No one. I throw a glance back to the window and realise the reflection was just me. The window slowly creaks open, the rain pouring in, forming a puddle on the floor.

Pull yourself together, man. It's just a window.

I take a step, and then another. My fingers touch the gun I keep behind my waist. I don't make it far. The windowpane smashes on the wall, and the glass shatters with a deafening clash. Footsteps echo in the corridor. A shadow appears through a door, heading for the window. And I'm already pulling my gun out.

"Don't move, or I'll shoot!" I shout.

The dark figure freezes.

"Put your hands where I can see them."

He puts his hands behind his head.

"Now turn around and face me."

And that's when I finally realise I am seriously fucked up.