Ramon

Bright and early the next morning, in the unnaturally warm January of New York, Jack had decided to go for a walk to clear his head. After catching up on what had happened in the aftermath of the hospital incident, he needed time to clear his head and contemplate what had just happened. Even though he had thoroughly scrubbed the guts and blood from his hands, Jack couldn't stop himself from trembling in the sixty degrees of winter. After walking a few blocks away from the hotel the trio had been staying in, Jack propped himself over a stone wall looking into Central Park.

The park, although absent of any greenery or vegetation, still shone in the overcast morning with a beautiful glimmer from the pond. Strands of sunlight cut through the sky as Jack reached under his fedora, locking his fingers over a photo under the brim. Bringing the photo out into the edge of the Park, Jack closed his eyes, telling himself it would be alright, then he opened his eyes, facing the picture. The photo was old now, yellowing around the corners and crumpled from years of action prior. But in life, when the photo had been taken, it reflected the Sin Hunter and his friends, gathered in Western Ridge before anything had come crashing down. Gathered in front of the sprawling field at Jack's cabin on the mountaintop.

Jack felt his grip tightening on the paper as he shuddered a breath, sliding the photo back into his fedora while he crossed his arms, heaving a long, deep sigh as his shoulders slumped over the ledge of the cold brick wall. Across the bench, standing with her boots just licking at the edge of the curb, Jules had her hands stuffed into the pockets of her bulky blue jacket, and a driver's cap seated on her tied back chocolate hair. A stray gold leaf drifted by her view as she approached her mentor, slumping back beside Jack with her back facing the Park. "Hey, hot stuff. What's happening?" Jack turned, shuffling the lip of his brim to the right, revealing a single, weary eye. "Not too much," he sighed, "not too much."

Jules pursed her lips, fiddling with a twig on the wall while she picked the conversation back up. "Hey. I know none of us are happy with what happened at the hospital, but we got the data. All we need to do now is figure out where to go next." Jack lifted himself, to which Jules lifted her spirits as high as he rose, straightening out in a casual tune. "You're...yeah, you're right. Strategy time." Jules snapped her fingers with a wink that sparkled in the overcast day. "There you go! C'mon, let's see if one of these restaurants has anything good to eat." Jack nodded, sniffling as he stuffed his hand into his pocket. Using the other hand, he adjusted his hat, grinning.

"Y'know, Jules, you really do come from the best of both worlds." Jules turned with a puzzled grin as the Sin Hunters hopped across the street to the sidewalk, proceeding south. "You mean, like, Living and Dead?" Jack waved his hand, eyes jumping in alarm. "No! I mean, no, of course not," he chuckled, motioning his hand to open the door as the two stepped into an Italian restaurant. "No, what I refer to is your parents," he continued, hanging his fedora on a coat rack by the door. Jules wiped off her shoes, walking with Jack to a fine dressed lady by the counter. As Jack approached, he winked to Jules. "Watch this," he whispered, and in the next moment, before Jules could even comprehend what was happening, her biological father was speaking fluent Italian with the lady at the counter.

After a quick and hearty laugh, the lady motioned graciously, extending to English with a, "Your table is in the back. Thank you for the laugh." Jack nodded, and he led Jules back to the corner of the restaurant by a large portrait of a man picking olives from a tree near a farm. As Jack sat down, crossing his hands, Jules slid into her seat, intrigued. "Now when did you learn Italian?" she asked. Jack dusted off his hair, chuckling as he removed his coat. "Doctor Harold Richmond, a Plague Doctor and part-time Necromancer, worked in France and Northern Italy when he was alive. Taught me the basics and quick tips on how to expand from there." Jules nodded, eyebrows raised in delight. "Who's Doctor Richmond?" Jack paused, snapping his fingers.