Chapter 9

Cameras clicked and snapped while lights sparkled around Ashley's eyes. She adjusted her glittering pink champagne colored dress in order for it to fan out more evenly on the carpet as Grayson placed his hand on her back wearing a suit. She heard shouts of, 

"Ashley, to your left!"

"You look gorgeous, Ashley!"

"Grayson, you are looking handsome!"

"Who are you wearing Miss Lucciano?"

Ashley loved red carpets. The thrill of the lights and the spectacle of it all was something she enjoyed thoroughly. Grayson was more awkward in front of the cameras, but Ashley's unwavering confidence inspired him to get through this one. Once their time was over on the carpet, they were ushered to their seats for the night. Ashley and Grayson sat down at their empty circle table, which was soon to be filled up with other athletes and people of importance. She could hardly wait for the night to get started. 

***

Jamie stepped out of his car onto the red carpet to the familiar and stereotypical sounds of a Hollywood frenzy. He was no stranger to red carpets and posing in front of cameras. Confident and steady, Jamie made sure many pictures were taken of him in his tailored black suit. He hated dressing up, but he knew he looked good when he did it. After the shouting photographers and adoring fans were done with him on the carpet, he moved into the theater to find his seat for the night. He had been told to sit at table 9. He scanned the dimly lit room trying to find his table and took in the setting, seeing familiar faces from TV, shiny decorations, and a lit up blue stage. Table 6...looks like tennis players, table 7...definitely American football; table 8 was filled with no doubt basketball players. His eyes settled on table 9. There she was. Jamie had only heard the word "ethereal" used a couple of times in his life, so he didn't really know what it meant, but looking at Ashley he guessed this is what it meant. She looked radiant. Like every light in the room was gravitating toward her. Her dark hair was curled effortlessly and her light pink dress clung to her body in a way that Jamie had never seen before. He thought she was pretty to begin with, but seeing her in this attire reinforced his prior thoughts. He was gingerly approaching the table when he caught her eye. 

"JAMIE TARTT?" Ashley grinned widely, genuinely surprised to see him. She stood up from the table and proffered her arms out for a hug.

"What are you doing here?" She inquired as she hugged him. 

"Well, since I'm nominated, I thought'd I would check it out this year. I usually don't come to things like these," Jamie confessed. They sat down next to each other at the table.

"Oh! Well I'm glad you're here, I was just thinking about-"

A large hand appeared on Ashley's shoulder while a tall figure stood behind, placing a drink in front of her on the table. Grayson. For some reason, Ashley felt disappointed he had interrupted so soon. 

"Jamie."

"Grayson."

"I would say it's good to see you but we both know it's not." Grayson said flatly. 

Ashley took a breath and a big swig of her drink. This was going to be a long night. 

There was still 40 minutes left until the show started, giving the trio ample time for long awkward silences and short conversations, Ashley's least favorite situation to be in. Finally, after 5 minutes, Grayson stood up. 

"I think I see my friend Lebron over there. Ashley, wanna come say hi with me?"

Ashley didn't feel like getting up from her chair because she was wearing 5 inch Louboutin heels and when she drank her legs felt heavy. And anytime Grayson talked to someone around her it was like she didn't exist anyway.