Chapter 12

"What? Sorry, I think I just hallucinated or something. Must be the hangover. Haha!" Ashley couldn't believe what she was hearing. 

"I said; Will you marry me, Ashley Lucciano?" 

"You're joking," Ashley laughed as she looked at Grayson's straight face. He had to just be caught up in a moment. "Oh! You're not joking." 

This was the opposite of how Ashley wanted to be proposed to. After a huge fight, with no romance whatsoever? What was he thinking? Clearly not much.

"Well, do you have a ring?"

"No."

"And are you down on one knee?"

"Not quite."

"Did you ask my dad?"

"Uhhh... I wasn't aware that I had to."

"Then no, I won't. And we can forget this 'proposal' ever happened. Easy peasy." Ashley was a hopeless romantic, she would not accept anything less than perfection when it came to something like this. Grayson conceded but was unwavering in his determination to one day be married to her. He blamed proposing spontaneously to feeling passionate because of the fight and feeling like doing something drastic to show Ashley he still wanted to be with her. 

"Fine. But I'm going to marry you one day Ashley, I swear."

Suddenly, Ashley didn't feel excited when he said that like she used to be. She felt it was more of a death sentence. 

***

The brisk London air welcomed Ashley, alone, as she landed at Heathrow Airport, a sense of familiarity washing over her. It was a necessary escape from the tumultuous events in the US. Grayson respected her need for space, and Ashley found solace in the cobblestone streets of London.

In a quiet contemplation on the drive back to her place, Ashley mulled over her decision to decline Grayson's unexpected proposal.  Grayson, surprisingly understanding, respected Ashley's decision. It wasn't about rejecting him; it was about timing and the complexities of their relationship. Now back at their respective clubs, the distance would give them some time to think about their relationship individually. Ashley felt a mix of relief and sadness, realizing the mercurial depth of their connection. Returning to her place, Ashley unpacked. In need of a reprieve, she flopped down on her bed, craving the mental break that sleep could provide. It was a Friday afternoon, and the anticipation of training tomorrow morning hung in the air, a reminder of the routine that grounded her amidst the chaos of emotions. 

***

Richmond's familiar streets welcomed Jamie back with a comforting embrace. The city's heartbeat pulsed through its vibrant neighborhoods, offering a sense of normalcy after the whirlwind of events. As Jamie settled back into his routine, his thoughts lingered on the recent night and the unexpected turn of events with Ashley.

He found himself constantly checking his phone, half-expecting a message from Ashley. The unresolved tension hung in the air, and Jamie couldn't shake the feeling that things had shifted between them. 

The Richmond training facility buzzed with activity as Jamie returned, the weight of the ESPYS after party night lingering in the back of his mind. As Jamie maneuvered through the crowded hallways, he glimpsed Ashley in the distance. Her demeanor seemed guarded, and the fleeting eye contact conveyed a sense of unease. Determined to address that night with her, Jamie quickened his pace. 

Their paths crossed in the narrow corridor, and the air grew thick with unspoken tension. Jamie waved and Ashley gave him a polite smile and kept walking on. Jamie couldn't let it end like this. He turned around and fell into step beside her, matching her pace.

"So are you still down for that Sunday training session?" He didn't dare to bring up Grayson or the aftermath right off the bat, although he was extremely curious to find out what had happened. 

"You're on, Tartt." She walked into the women's locker room. Jamie was excited that she was still open to the session, however he would've liked a more "Ashley" response. Something like "I'm gonna kick your ass Tartt" or "I'm more ready than you are". Still, he was looking forward to tomorrow not just to work on his football skills but find out what happened between Ashley and Grayson. Maybe they broke up! He had hoped for the worst. 

Arriving to the facilities on Sunday, Jamie couldn't wait to find out.