Chapter 5

“The Guzmans and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto.” Abuela Alma smiled at Mariana’s mother.

The older woman nodded in agreement, “Yes, then, let’s hope tonight is not a horrible disaster.”

“If only.” (Y/N) and Isaiah muttered to themselves. Both heard each other and sent each other a smirk.

Of course, with (Y/N)’s luck, she would sit right next to Isaiah at his proposal dinner. At least she had Mirabel on her other side.

“To a perfect night!” Abuela Alma raised her glass, “Salud!”

“Salud!” Everyone repeated the action back.

(Y/N) noticed that Mirabel refused to look away from her cousin Dolores, “Hey Mira, you okay?” She whispered.

Dolores lets out a small whimper as she clenches her wine glass tightly.

Mariana leaned over and held the bowl full of avocados in front of Mirabel, “Avocado?”

Mirabel gasped and pushed the bowl away from her view, and across from her, Dolores leaned over and whispered into Camilo’s ear.

“She knows?!?” (Y/N) whispered loudly at her friend.

Camilo spluttered and shifted into Mirabel, then into Bruno, then back to himself. His face was distorted from the rapid changing in shock.

Tio Felix leaned over and whispered loudly, “Camilo, fix your face.”

Isaiah, ignoring what just happened, passed over a pitcher of water in front of Mirabel, “Water?”

(Y/N) forced a smile and pushed the pitcher back, “No thanks.”

Camilo leaned over and whispered to his dad what Dolores told him. Felix’s eyes widened, and he spit his water out, getting the Guzmans on that side of the table wet.

“Mirabel.” Abuela Alma cleared her throat and diverted the situation, “The cream, please?”

Mirabel gave her father a nervous smile, “Pa, the cream?”

Her father returned the same back and handed her the cream. Mirabel passed it to (Y/N), who passed it to Isaiah.

Her attention shifted towards Tio Felix, now whispering into his wife’s ear, “Bruno’s vision.”

The light in the room seemed to dim as a large storm cloud formed above Tia Pepa.

“Pepa? The cloud.” Abuela Alma gestured to the lightning cloud above them.

Tia Pepa ran her fingers through her hair repeatedly, “Clear skies, clear skies, clear skies, clear skies..” She then leaned over to Mirabel’s mom and whispered as well, “Bruno’s visions.”

Mirabel looked down and drank her juice nervously. She noticed that cracks were beginning to form underneath her.  She bends down to get a closer look at the new cracks.

“Mirabel?” Mariana questioned.

Said girl banged her head against the table as she shot back up.

“Everything okay?” Mariano asked the younger Madrigal. He sat on the opposite side of the table next to Dolores.

Augustin gave a nervous smile, “Everything is great.” He reassured quickly, “She's just excited. For your sister to propose!” He then leans over and looks at Mariana, “Which, uh, you should do!”

“Yes!” Mirabel nodded.

“As fast as you can.” Augustin added.

Mariana blushed and snuck a look at Isaiah, “Uh, I was actually…gonna…”