Chapter 14

I bit back a small sob of relief when I heard Ruckur's voice and fell to my knees beside the girl. Thank Gods, I said, my voice barely above a whisper while it cracked. What happened? Are you ok?

I am ok, he confirmed with a small groan in his voice before he cleared his throat. I didn't expect that to use as much magic as it did.

I set my jaw and grew tense, my heart aching with guilt, for it had been my decision to tell him to do that when it caused him pain.

How selfish of me t-

Don't, Ruckur warned, interrupting me as if he knew where that thought was going. It is not your fault, Alexandria May.

He paused and cleared his throat, growing serious. If at all, it is my fault and not yours, so please, don't blame yourself.

I furrowed my brows and cocked my head stunned and a bit amused that he thought it was his fault. How? I asked and raised an eyebrow in question. How is it your fault when all you are is a voice in my head?

Ruckur chuckled softly. I am not just a voice in your head, Alexandria, he said solemnly. Remember, I have been in your position before. I was human once and died before I was put with your mother and then with you. Ok?

I hesitated before I slowly nodded and bit the inside of my lip. I didn't say a word while I looked at the body again, waiting for Ruckur to see it and look at what we had uncovered with the spell.

Interesting... Ruckur said before he cleared his throat and grew serious. Now, are you comfortable with touching the body? he asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow in question.

Yes, I said and nodded in confirmation. What do you want me to do?

Ruckur cleared his throat and grew serious. Kneel closer to her body and move her head slightly to the left so that you can see the bite, he said. Touch it and see if it's warm or cold.

I raised an eyebrow in question, a little disgusted but also curious. Touch it? I asked before I furrowed my brows and cocked my head in confusion, and he mentally nodded. What do you mean by that?

Ruckur sighed, and I had a feeling that he shook his head and pursed his lips in annoyance. I mean that you need to touch it, Alexandria, he said. It will not hurt you, if that is what you are worried about.

I held back an eye roll and pressed my lips into a thin line, my cheeks turning slightly red and became filled with embarrassment. I didn't think that it would hurt me, Ruckur, but why did you want to see if it is warm?

Ruckur chuckled, amused. I will let you know when you touch it, he said calmly. Now, go ahead and do it. He paused and cleared his throat, growing serious. You also said that you were comfortable with touching the body.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, relenting. True, I grumbled before I cleared my throat and crawled over to her before I sat on my knees when I reached her. I know that I said I was comfortable with touching the body, but I don't know if I would like the feeling of the mark being warm.

Ruckur chuckled again. I know, he said before he cleared his throat and grew serious. Go ahead and do it, though, he said softly. You will be fine. I promise.

I set my jaw and slowly nodded before I took a deep breath and sent a silent prayer to whoever before I did what I was told to do and moved her head to the side to reveal the bite mark.