Chapter 10

My mother opened the door to the room, and my heart pounded hard in fear. She was about to take a step in, but I grabbed her arm with Ruckur's pushing, and she stopped before she turned to look at me with a raised eyebrow.

Tell her that she needs to stay out, Ruckur said. Anxiety and nervousness filled his voice, and I had a feeling that he sensed something that was out of the ordinary and could potentially harm them.

"You need to stay out of the room, Mom," I said, repeating what Ruckur had told me to say. I glanced at Michael before I looked at her again. "Both of you need to."

Mom pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes. She placed a scowl on her face, and her eyes dared me to tell her to stay out again. Not a word was spoken by her while we had this stare off, and I had a feeling that she was trying to get me to submit.

Stay strong, Ruckur said, and I stood taller and straighter while I kept my gaze on her. This is something that you have to do alone. She needs to know that on this, you are in control of the situation and not her.

I didn't reply and kept my gaze on my mother. My heart didn't pound as hard as I thought it would from nerves, and I had a feeling that Ruckur had done something to make sure that I felt confident while I stood in front of the more experienced Director.

Finally, Mom sighed and looked away from me, ceasing her fight for power. She set her jaw and cleared her throat before she looked at me again. "Did Ruckur tell you to tell us that?" she asked, and I nodded in confirmation. She pursed her lips and looked at Michael, and I had a feeling that she didn't want to listen to her brother.

Michael shrugged and grimaced before he shook his head. He didn't like the idea of me going in there by myself, but I could tell that he trusted his brother. "It's his call," he replied, his voice grave. "He's the one that is dead and has been given the duty of protecting her."

Mom sighed and moved a hand across her face. She looked exhausted and tired, and I could see the worry in her eyes. She still didn't like the idea of me going in there by myself, and I had a feeling that it was because of what was happening with me and my brother, something that she couldn't control.

"Fine," she said, finally before she pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes. Warning flashed through her eyes, and I again didn't feel as intimidated by her as I would any other time. "Ruckur, I'm entrusting you to keep my daughter safe. Is that understood?"

Ruckur chuckled. Tell her that I said loud and clear, he said, and I mentally nodded my head. He grew serious and sighed. After that, go into the room. Tell your mom to close and lock the door. You'll let yourself out when we are done inside the room.

I mentally nodded and cleared my throat. "Ruckur said he hears you loud and clear," I said. "He had told me that I was under his protection anyway." I shrugged and grimaced because I had no idea how he would protect me if all else failed.

Mom nodded, and her eyes were filled with relief as if she was glad that I was under his protection, and no harm will befall on me because of that. She raised an eyebrow and cocked her head. "What else did he say?"

I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet. Anxiety and nervousness filled my body because this would be my first task as a Director without proper training and knowledge. "I'm going to need you to close and lock the door," I said, repeating what Ruckur had told me.

Mom opened her mouth to say something but closed it. A look of pain and fear appeared on her face, and she slowly nodded her head, not arguing with what he said. "If something happens to you, just know that I will find a way to take him out of your body and beat the shit out of him," she said.

A small smile appeared on my face while Ruckur chuckled because we both knew she would do it. "I'll be fine," I said, even though I didn't believe it. I gave my mother a half smile, and she smiled back. "I mean, I do have a dead man talking to me and knows a lot of stuff." I shrugged before I grimaced. "And listening to my thoughts, which are supposed to be private."

Mom chuckled and nodded. "Yes," she said. "He does that a lot." She grew serious and cleared her throat. A look of sadness filled her eyes while she studied me, and I could tell that she longed to hear his voice again. "However, he does give good advice once in a while." She winked, and I grinned.

Ruckur scoffed and rolled his eyes. Once in a while? he asked and raised an eyebrow. What does she mean by once in a while?

I mentally shrugged and didn't reply. I walked into my mother's arms when she held them open and closed my eyes while I let her hold me, even though I knew that we needed to go in.

She did something to me, diverting my attention to something else while she said something only to Ruckur. She had no idea that I knew something, and I knew that Ruckur wouldn't tell her nor tell me what she said.

Finally, she released me and bowed her head. "Go ahead and go, Director," she said. "Stay safe and trust Ruckur. He knows what he is talking about."

I licked my lips and nodded. My throat closed, so I didn't say a word when I offered Michael a half smile before I twisted around my heels and walked into the dark room with my mother closing and locking the door behind.