Chapter 3

I rubbed my hands together and tried to warm them up while watching my brother warm-up for his hockey meet. The seat next to me was open for our mother, but she wasn't there yet.

She is on her way, Ruckur said, soothingly. Relax.

Relax? I asked, licking my lips. How can I relax? This Carith fellow is in my brother's mind, and he is probably telling him that our mother isn't coming.

Chase looked towards the stands, a frown appearing on his face when he noticed that I was alone. His eyes flashed with sadness before darkening with anger.

Told you, I said. I stuck the edge of my thumb in my mouth and chewed at the loose skin that was there.

Why are you sucking your thumb? Ruckur asked.

I am not. I am chewing on this stupid piece of skin, I replied. That is hanging off of my nail.

Maybe you should try to stop... Ruckur said. But, you are filled with anxiety, and I am sure that it will be hard to.

I rolled my eyes and watched my brother shook his head and went back to warming up with his other teammates. Mom, get here quick, please, I begged, silently.

I could feel this darkness closing in around me. My heart pounded in my chest, and I had a hard time breathing. My whole body was tense as I tried to subdue this feeling.

"Dia?" my eleven-year-old sister, Sabrina, asked, looking at me. Worry filled her blue eyes, and I could tell that I was turning paler by the look in her eyes. "Are you alright?"

I nodded my head as I started to panic. Fear clawed it's way up my throat as I could feel the darkness seeping into my skin.

Submit, a voice whispered. Let the darkness consume you.

Ruckur, was that you? I asked, my voice trembling.

No, Ruckur replied. Concern filled his voice, and I could tell that he didn't like this one bit. Where is your brother?

I scanned the ice and found my brother standing near the net, his back towards me. I watched while he gripped the hockey stick tighter, and his body started to shake.

One of his teammates skated over to him. Concern was written on the teammate's face when he went to touch him, but my brother jerked away.

Hit him with the stick, the voice whispered, and I had this sudden urge to do it. Kill him. It will make you feel better.

My whole body shook while I watched my brother struggle to fight the command. I was helpless as his urge to attack became mine, his fear and hopelessness filling both of our bodies.

"Dia?" my sister asked again. Her face held concern and fear as she moved in front of me. "Look at me." Hesitantly, she reached out to touch me, only to pull away when I jerked back. "What's wrong?"

Do it.

Tears streamed down my face while I watched Chase decide to turn around to look at me. His pain mirrored my pain, and his fear mirrored my fear. He looked concerned when he noticed my tear-stained face, and the darkness slowly started to ebb away some, but it was still there.

I felt it.

They care more about her than about you, the same voice whispered, and Chase's jaw hardened. See how they all are facing her and not you. You will never fit in.

Chase ignored the guy that was still trying to get his attention. His blue eyes were turning darker, filled with anger, and hurt that he felt. He set his jaw, his jaw shaking from the strain. He wanted to do it; both of us knew that he wanted to do it.

Say the spell that I taught you, the voice whispered.

Chase tried to ignore the voice. He just kept his eyes on me before this presence filled the room. Relief filled his eyes while he caught sight of someone, their power dominating the room, and over the thing that controlled him.

I bit back a sob of relief as the darkness drifted away, and I could finally breathe again. "I'm fine. I'm fine," I whispered hoarsely, pushing them away from me.

"Sorry, I am late," my mother said apologetically when she was at the edge of the seats. She walked over to us, holding some popcorn and a corn dog in her hands. She noticed my tearstained face, and her brows furrowed in concern. "Are you alright?"

I nodded my head and flicked my eyes to the ice. "I am," I confirmed.

Interesting... Ruckur said.

Mom looked at the ice and smiled at her son, and Chase offered her a grim smile before he turned away and told the guy that he was fine before skating away from him. She sat down next to me and handed the corn dog to my little sister. "Are you sure?"

"She freaked out about something," my little sister said. She took a bite of the corn dog and looked at me before she looked at my mother. "I don't know what."

"Hmmm," Mom said. She looked at me, raising an eyebrow. "Alex?"

Say that you will tell her later, Ruckur said.

I mentally nodded my head to him. "I'll tell you later," I muttered, and she nodded her head in understanding.

With Michael.

"With Michael."

***

I washed my face and took a deep breath while I tried to calm my pounding heart. My whole body ached as I tried to relax and focus on my breathing.

What happened? I asked, looking at myself in the mirror. My eyes felt heavy, and I knew that I looked like shit. My whole face was red from crying, and my nose was red, too.

I don't know, but I have a theory, Ruckur said.

I turned on the water again and splashed my face, enjoying the coolness that it brought. What is your theory? I asked.

Ruckur stayed silent, and I could tell that he was debating on whether or not he should tell me.

Please, Ruckur, I begged. I need to know. I need to know who that voice was and how I heard it.

Ruckur sighed. I think it is Carith, he said, finally. How you got to hear him, I do not know.

Chase and I are twins, I said. Maybe a part of him wanted me to know how he was feeling.

He stayed silent. That could be a possibility. However, if so, then why doesn't Chase or Carith know about me?

Well, you were supposed to be dead or whatever, I replied. I wiped my face and took a deep breath. And, maybe he wasn't.

Ruckur stayed silent for a minute, processing something. His mind was blocked from me, and I hated it because he was able to read mine.

I huffed and grabbed some paper towels from the holder and dried my face.

Are you saying that he is in a holding cell or something? That he actually isn't dead but stuck somewhere?

Well, ya, I replied. I huffed and pursed my lips while I let him try to figure out my jumbled thoughts as to why I had heard Carith and the possibility of him being in a holding cell.

But, your mother killed him, Ruckur said. I was there.

Or, she wasn't strong enough to kill him, I replied. She probably killed a part of him, or she killed his anchor to Earth.

Then how did he get back here?

I shrugged my shoulders. I don't know, but I think that is something that we will have to figure out.