4.Serendipitous Reverie

Celebrating the fleeting moments of joy, the family immerses itself in creating cherished memories before their daughter embarks on her journey. The impending departure, known to the parents, unfolds before their eyes, leaving them with a mix of tearful smiles and hearts filled with both happiness and the palpable ache of impending separation. They wish fervently that the decision made for their little princess is the best, savoring the present moment while yearning for the future life partner who will bring both joy and peace to her life.
Aliya just carries on her daily routine and goes to university to attend her classes.
"Aneel, are you free after class?" asks the restless Aliya, her voice carrying an undercurrent of uncertainty.
"Yeah, everything okay? Fancy a break at the smoking area?" Aneel responds, noticing the unrest in Aliya's eyes as the students exit class after attending lecture.
"Yes, might need a smoke too," says anxious Aliya, stealing a glance at her teacher, her departure seemingly marked by a heaviness in her heart.

"This seems serious. Let's go. I'll let the group know we'll be late for the next lecture," Aneel suggests, sensing an urgency in Aliya's voice and actions, aware that she only seeks solace in the ritual of smoking during challenging times.

"Thanks, buddy. Let's go together," Aliya states, hurriedly packing her bag and taking out lighter from Aneel's bag. On the way to smoking area within the university Aneel texts the group informing about late arrival for next class or maybe about skipping it, whereas Aliya is quite all the way. Settling at the smoking area, Aneel can sense the gravity of the situation and asks what's truly going on. "What's bothering my friend, with bean sized brain?

"It's nothing, Aneel. I just needed to clear my mind," Aliya says, her forced smile failing to hide the whirlwind of emotions and anxiousness within her, having conflict with herself if she should tell Aneel about yesterday or not. She never hid something from him but right now she doesn't even know what better decision could be, to tell him or not.

"That's not how we are, Ms. Azlan. I know you well. Now, what's bothering you?" Aneel presses, his eyes reflecting concern and familiarity.

"Come on, Aneel. It's nothing, really," Aliya deflects, but Aneel, ever perceptive, gives her a knowing look, lighting up his and Aliya's cigarette.
"Fine, but promise me you'll let me speak first without interruptions."
Aneel nods.

"Well, my parents were pressuring me to decide about marriage. They were insisting on this boy, Rami Adams, and.." she takes a deep breath "and I said yes to my parents last night. I agreed to the marriage two days ago, and they might arrange a meeting for us soon."

Aliya glances at Aneel, seeking any reaction, but finds none. On finding no emotions on her most annoying but best friend she says, "Bo Bear, I just shared something important! Where are you zoned out?"

"Do you want me to react now?" Aneel responds innocently
"Ugh! Out of all the boys, why I made YOU my best friend, the most annoying person ever. No, I don't want you to react. I just want you to keep this secret even after my marriage." Aliya states with irritation.

Seeing Aliya finally expressing herself, Aneel passes her a genuine smile.
"Aneeeel." Aliya whines.
"Okay, fine. First, what's there to worry about? For you or poor Rami? Besides, thank you for the chance to smoke." Aneel responds while taking another puff.

Dropping the ashes of her cigarette in the ashtray, Aliya exhales, "I don't know. I'm happy that I made Mom and Dad proud again, but I'm restless too."
"Aliya, it's not just you who's restless. Even guys are restless after saying yes to marriage. We never know what the future holds, what kind of life partner we'll get. Trust your gut. About making your parents proud, there are many ways to do that. This time, it's all about you. You'll get married sooner or later, right?" Aneel pats Aliya's shoulder after his little speech.
Aliya, listening carefully, nods. Seeing her a bit relaxed, Aneel continues.