𝐢𝐢. memories feel like weapons

Her mother was the first to come and bid her goodbye. Their reunion was short and sweet due to the fact she was sobbing so uncontrollably that she could hardly get the words out of her mouth. Most of their actual conversation consisted of scoldings 'because how could she have been so stupid as to volunteer'.

Her mother had never been supportive of her plans to win the hunger games and had been very vocal about it in the past. At least now she could use Annie as an excuse for her actions.

Her father had died last year and it had put a great deal of stress on her mother. Obviously Genevieve's volunteering had just added to this burden. She would have to ask someone to keep an eye on her during the games because it seemed as though she was swaying dangerously close to the edge. By the time she had been properly consoled their time was up and the peacekeepers had arrived to escort her out.

She took a seat on the couch, lazily throwing her feet onto the couch and lounging back. Annie would most likely be the only one to come visit her apart from her mother. Probably to thank her.

The doors opened and Annie was there, surprisingly she wasn't weepy or sad, she was angry. She pranced right up to her and grabbed her by the arm, desperately pulling her to her feet.

Obviously Annie wasn't strong enough to lift Genevieve up so she had to stand up by herself.

"Why would you do that?" Annie asked, tears welling up in her big blue eyes.

"You and I both know that I have a much better chance of coming out alive then you do." She snorted like it was obvious, trying to ignore the lump in her throat.

Annie gave her another tearful look and for a moment, she thought that her cousin might burst into tears. Annie was a quiet little thing, as much as she liked to think she was tough, she was a real pushover and hated fighting, which is why she never attended the Academies.

"You didn't have to! Now it'll be my fault if something happens to you," Annie said desperately, taking a seat next to her. Genevieve frowned, she knew that she could have left Annie but she had always had a soft spot for her cousin. They had never talked much outside of family get-togethers but they had a close bond nevertheless.

She had always been a role model for Annie since she was slightly older and infinitely tougher. She was so soft and sweet that she was an easy target to be picked on but Genevieve had soon put a stop to that, wanting to protect her cousin from the danger surrounding district four's borders.

Genevieve let out a deep breath as memories of her childhood flooded through her brain. It was important that she stayed unaffected by what happened, in order to present a brave face to potential sponsors. The footage from reapings was often scrutinised for hours to catch even the slightest tremor that indicated fear. If she really wanted to return to her district she needed to play the game properly.

Annie was sensitive and her emotions were overwhelming at the best of times. She needed to keep her cousin happy for her own good. Instead of replying, she gave a thoughtful hum and carded her fingers through the girl's long red hair. Deep down they both knew that Genevieve volunteering was a good thing, even though they had yet to speak the thought out loud.

"Look," Annie said solemnly, grabbing Genevieve's hand in a vice-like grip, "I know you can do this, you're the best in the whole district, if anyone can do this, it's you and I know you know that. But don't get cocky in there. It'll get you killed."

Genevieve's eyes narrowed and Annie scowled at her tears spilling out of her eyes, "Don't give me that look," she pleaded, "You know that you get arrogant. You do all of the time. You can't do that there. They'll hurt you Gen." Annie wailed clutching at Genevieve's artful blue dress.

"I know," Genevieve said, and she did know that. She knew that being cocky could get you killed but she had every right to be cocky. She was the best in her district for goodness sake.

The capital would want a show and the persona she'd oh so carefully crafted, after years of analysing what riled up the crowds, relied heavily on arrogance. It would be sure to annoy her competitors but it made for a great show. Oftentimes the anger at being underestimated made people sloppy and she would be counting on that happening to ensure she emerged largely unscathed from the battle grounds.

Annie, obviously realising that her words had little effect on the older girl, let out a shaky breath. Seemingly undeterred by Genevieve's dismissal of her concerns she reached into her pocket and pulled something out. Clasping her manicured hand with trembling fingers, Annie opened it and placed something cold and metallic on her outstretched palm.

"Have this as your token." She said so determinedly it was almost a command, as her curiosity increased she looked down almost immediately only to see a golden starfish charm. It glittered under the harsh lights shining from above and Genevieve couldn't help but marvel at its beauty. It looked awfully expensive even for someone like her who had grown up in victor's village and had endless amounts of money because of her father.

"Annie." She began as the redhead shook her head firmly.

"Wear it." she commanded, her voice wavering ever so slightly and Genevieve sighed before nodding. She removed her necklace deftly, watching as Annie signalled at her to turn around so she could help her put on her gift.

Annie's fingers grazed lightly against her neck as the cool metal brushed against her skin, making her shiver instinctually. Once the necklace was secured properly, she looked down to inspect it

It fit snugly around the base of her neck, too tight for anyone to grab and try to strangle her with. Genevieve was glad to have a token that reminded her of district four even though it made her heart ache at the thought of leaving. She consoled herself with the thought that if everything went her way she would be back home soon enough.

"It's nice," she said, leaning back with a smile. "Thank you."

They sat for a moment in silence, unsure of what to say or do without bringing up her impending future. She was startled out of her peaceful stupor by the peacekeepers bursting into the room, telling them that time was up.

Genevieve sneered, "Then give us more," she hissed, "She's going to be my only visitor apart from my mother anyways." Although she had many friends at the academy and had always been considerably popular she never expected anyone from the Academy to show up and bid her goodbye.

"That's against the rules." the guard responded gruffly and Annie let out an annoyed breath, standing up and pulling Genevieve into a tight hug.

She stiffened immediately, unused to affection from anyone but her mother, but then relaxed in her grasp, putting her arms around Annie's back.

"Come back," she said quietly, "Promise you'll come back. For me. Promise." She nearly laughed at her cousin's pleading, Annie was so childish it was almost endearing.

"I will," Genevieve promised. And she would, she vowed to herself, She'd come home.

Once Annie had left the room she took a moment to compose herself and smoothe down her dress leaving it void of any wrinkles. Genevieve knew that the next time the door opened, cameras would once again surround her from every angle as she made her way to the train bound towards the Capital.