𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. this won't go back to normal

Genevieve was awake bright and early before the artificial sun had even risen in the sky. After checking that her weapons would stay in place when she moved, she set herself up next to the cliff edge preparing herself to jump.

The water surrounding the mountains was a murky dark colour that offered little visibility from where she was perched. It would be a mad dash to the cornucopia once it started to rise and Genevieve was certain that the mutts hidden in the depths would rise in search of the weaker tributes.

She was convinced that at least one person would be killed off by the time the battle was over but then again maybe not everyone would show up, choosing instead to risk heading into a final fight half starved and weaponless.

As she pondered over potential situations and enemies a gong rang out from above, echoing around the arena and bouncing off the cliff faces.

Genevieve waited until she saw the first sign of the all-too-familiar cornucopia and sprang into action. She swam gracefully through the water trying not to attract any unwanted attention by splashing and reached the edge of the platform within minutes. Hauling herself up she scanned her surroundings for anything useful. Some tributes were swimming towards her but they seemed unsure of their abilities and were slow enough for her to fend them off.

She rummaged through a stack of food and stuffed any rations and water she would need into a blue streamlined pack that she slung over her shoulder for safekeeping. She glanced over the weapons and found none of them to her liking save for a couple of throwing stars which she took as well

As she was grabbing a medical kit to add to her supplies Genevieve noticed the district six girl struggling to pull herself up onto the platform. She looked as though she had very little upper body strength and had been largely unassuming during interviews and training. Genevieve was surprised she'd even made her way out of the bloodbath and stalked over to where she was.

She walked over purposefully and unsheathed a katana silently. When she was positioned directly above the girl she swung her blade around and grimaced as blood spurted out in all directions and the decapitated body fell back into the water with a splash.

The canon rang out loud and clear.

Hopefully, that would dissuade more tributes from coming to the cornucopia for good and leave her with a clear advantage

From the corner of her eye, she could see the district ten boy clambering up onto the podium and making his way straight towards her.

Not wanting to stick around and risk any more fights she dived back into the water and made her way to dry land. The boy didn't want to lose his position next to the supplies to chase her down and made no move to follow.

Once she re-emerged on the other side unharmed, Genevieve made her way over to a boulder that would hide her from any passing dangers. Pulling out the medical kit from her bag she dressed and bound any visible injuries and took a painkiller to dull her muscle fatigue.

She sat there for at least an hour to rest. As she regained her energy three more canons sounded. That left six tributes left including herself so she took that as a sign to begin her pursuit.

She checked that everything was secured to her body and took off down the mountainside in search of others. If she played this right she could be out of the arena by sundown.

She scoured the area from above and followed some muddy tracks through the rocks and towards her next victim. As the traces of human life became unmistakable she noticed blood splatters accompanying them. The amount of blood on the ground seemed as if it was increasing the further she walked and Genevieve wondered if she was following a dead man's trail.

The weather also began to change as she walked, rain clouds blocked out the morning light and chilled her to the bone. Undeterred she continued on her journey, clenching her jaw to avoid chattering teeth.

In front of another large pool of blood stood a cave that someone was using as shelter. She could hear pained gasps from within and reached for the handle of her weapon before venturing inside.

It was almost pitch black inside and as a result, Genevieve was forced to rely on her other senses to stay alert.

Muffled groans sounded out from deeper inside the cave and Genevieve debated lighting a fire to see exactly what was going on. Deciding that whoever was residing inside was probably too injured to fight her, she struck a match from inside her pack against a wall and used it to light a dry piece of driftwood lying nearby.

A muffled sob rang out as she cast light on the body of the district two boy - Pertan. She gaped and stared down at him. His arm wound had been reopened and looked to be infected, pus was evident and redness surrounded his entire forearm.

She stepped towards him deftly realising he was not a threat to her. She held up his arm to inspect the wound and see if anything could be done to help him.

His skin was pale and almost blue under the light of her torch, he also seemed to be having difficulty breathing.

"Y-You can't do anything– it's sepsis." He slurred as she looked up at him for confirmation. She inhaled sharply, unsure of how to ease his suffering.

This meant that there were only four people out there she could consider threats since Pertan wouldn't be able to inflict any damage on her in his current state. Somehow this knowledge did nothing to calm her racing mind.

She rummaged through her medical kit and tried to dress his wound with shaking hands, ignoring the fact she was wasting supplies on someone who couldn't be saved.

"I have–" Genevieve swallowed her nerves as she rummaged through her first aid bag once again. "There's enough morphine in here to end your suffering now. It would stop the pain and you would just feel like falling asleep." Pertan gave a barely discernible nod and Genevieve dumped the contents of the pill bottle into her hand.

She pulled some water out of her bag and placed the pills into his mouth, pushing the bottle gently to his lips. She helped him wash down the remaining capsules.

His eyes closed shut as his hand clasped around hers seeking a level of comfort she couldn't give to him. From outside a canon sounded and Genevieve emerged from the cave battle ready. Only four tributes left.