✧ Chapter 5: Forgiveness

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╔═════《✧》═════╗+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒

     A few days had past and you hadn't spoken with Lyney since you left his place abruptly. You distracted yourself with other things and planned to leave Fontaine soon and never return. You couldn't bear the sour, heart wrenching feeling of unrequited love. You often fell asleep thinking of him, which would be soon followed by dreams of him. 

You spent a lot of time thinking about what happened with Lyney and let your mind wander in circles. You tried to keep yourself busy often. Every night, thoughts of Lyney and dreams about him kept coming back, making it hard to shake off those feelings. It was tough, and it made you ponder deeply about your feelings and what the future holds in other regions.

--

Tap tap tap... Your long, slender fingers drummed against the table as you read a letter you received recently, from Lyney. The letter consisted of a very detailed, very heartfelt apology, he invited you for tea to explain further. As you reread some of the more, heart fluttering parts, it made you want to forgive and forget everything after you've sworn to leave this city behind. You blushed in rosy pink and cupped your cheek in a bashful manner.

--

The day came and you made the final decision to go. God, you hated the way you actually dressed up. The way you stressed over every detail, the way you wanted to look good. You wanted to leave but something in your heart ached. For him. His cheerful, cunning character took your heart and ran off with it. 

Your block heels clacked on the ground as your made your way to a small, local teahouse. You found Lyney waiting for you at the entrance, his figure leaning against the side of the wooden beam. He waved softly at you with a smile and gestured for you go to in first. You didn't expect to be this nervous once you saw him and you could feel your heart-rate fluctuate. 

     "This place is..pretty new, pretty popular" he said, trying to break the suffocating silence. You sat down and you tried your best to not make eye contact, making sure to look everywhere that wasn't him. He kept his head down before finally mustering up the courage to talk. 

     "Listen..Y/N.." He said, taking a deep breath to collect his thoughts. His hand trembled slightly and you could tell he had a lot to get off his chest. 

     "I didn't get a chance to explain last time when you abruptly left my place.." He started, taking pauses at certain intervals. He took a deep breath and it seemed like he really thought this through. 

     "I know I shouldn't have tried to- to use you to try and cope with her death and this isn't me trying to justify wh-what I did but you...you have to understand, it was very sudden. It took me by surprise and- it hurt, like I'd gotten stabbed in the chest, like invisible hands were around my neck, suffocating me. It was like I couldn't breathe anymore and- when she died, a part of me died with her. " He choked out, and you immediately felt a pang of guilt hit you, square in the chest. 

Were you being selfish? That question rang through your head with an echo and you nervously chewed on your lip. It felt like he reciprocated your feelings but just needed time, you reluctantly cupped his hand on the table and gave it a small squeeze as a sign of reassurance.

     "Lyney.." You mumbled, you felt a lump in your throat and struggled to speak. It wasn't that you didn't want to say anything, everything was just difficult. 

     "I'm sorry." You finally managed to say in a small whisper, which wasn't enough but a start. 

     "..." He said in response, he finally raised his head, meeting your gaze which mirrored his. The two of you sat in silence, holding eye contact, it didn't feel weird or uncomfortable with him. A warm feeling of forgiveness sprouted in both your hearts and you felt as if life was taking a turn for the better. 

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╚═════《✧》═════╝+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒