✧ Chapter 7: Love?

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╔═════《✧》═════╗+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒

     "Just what do you think love is? An almost palpable, magnetic force which guide souls together, some say a thin, bright red thread is responsible for bringing people together. Is that true?"

It might as well be because it was almost as if time stopped for the two of you, eyes locked onto each other's gazes. You stood idly to the side of the stage as he performed a trick. A beautiful dove bursting out from the bottom of his hat, a trick most beloved and a definite classic between all magicians. The sparkle in his eyes—you hadn't seen that since his sister passed, he looked happy, and most content with life. A big smile widened onto your face, you grinned at the man before you. 

And, time resumed, the pearl-white dove flew around the theatre before resting onto his arm, perched on his sleeve. He took his eyes off the bird and glanced over at you, a small cue for you to jump in. 

You readied yourself, stretching your arm before running in onto the stage, posing beside him as to help with his next trick.

     "Now.. I'd like for everyone to pay extra close attention to this one, as I've got my assistant Y/N here with me today.." He grinned at the audience with much animation, his arms gestured over to you in an exaggerated pose, making you giggle. The audience seemed to be paying extra attention, silence in the theatre and all eyes on you. The two of you moved to the side to make way for a giant vase to be descended down onto the stage.

--

Before you knew it, it was over. You ended up getting splashed with water, how annoying.

     "Y/N! You did great for your first time! Splendid performance!" Lyney praised, the big smile on his face radiated happiness. You smiled, still wiping down the equipment used for his tricks.

     "Thank you so much- if I'm being honest, I didn't do anything at all.. You practically did a solo performance!" You giggled, being completely transparent with him. 

     "C'mon, you know it wouldn't be the same without you, I need you.." He choked out the last bit, catching you by surprise. 

     "-For the performance, you know? You add something that just wouldn't be there otherwise, it lingers in the air," he chuckles awkwardly.

     "I get what you mean, thank you, truly. It's a lot of fun being up there with you." You smiled at him, tucking a stray hair behind your ear. He was a lot of fun to hang around, sweet, funny, charismatic and- really caring

Warm reds crept onto his face and he stood, blushing. You watched the tips of his ears grow red with the warmth, his previous strong gaze breaking and fixating on the room instead. You were caught by surprise but delighted nonetheless, how out of character for him. Was he, actually flustered? You blinked, the gears in your head struggling to find a proper answer. 

     "Hah- I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun aswell. You're one heck of a girl, you know?" The redness on his face alleviated, still showing bits of red. He gave you a small grin, pulling some mora from his pocket.

     "Twenty-thousand, just like you asked." He said, handing the sack of coins to you. You happily accepted, opening the sack to shiny, glimmering coins before you. 

     "Thanks so much! But- how long will I be working for you?" You curiously asked, closing the sack and placing it into your backpack, next to all your other items. He thought for a moment.

     "You can stay for as long as you want. I won't force you to stay in this position but I'd like for you to tell me a few weeks in advance at least so I could make plans to find another, more permanent assistant." His voice trailed off at the end, eyes looking away in almost-sadness, was it? Or maybe you were imagining it. You shook your head, shaking the thought away. 

     "Alright then, I'll be sure to tell you when I leave." You smiled at the man, wondering what he thought about you two. 

     "I'll...get going now." You smiled, looking back at him as you turned to the exit. As you were about to leave, a hand grabbed at your wrist, his. You turned around, meeting his surprised expression. He immediately let go of your hand practically ripping it away from yours as a human would to any sort of pain, a flinch backwards. A blush burned through his cheeks and a lump formed in his throat as he watched your confused expression blink a few times.

     "I just wanted to.. tell you- good night (?)" He looked away awkwardly, trying to make himself as small as possible. Nothing seemed to click to you about this guy, and you loved it. One minute he was acting aloof and distant and another, he's almost like putty in your hands. You gave a warm smile, leaning in and giving him a peck on the cheek.

     "Good night." You said, leaving without another look back, as soon as the door closed behind you, you dropped into a crouch, hands cupping your face in regret and embarrassment. You mentally berated yourself for it while he stood on the other side of the door, blushing with a baffled face. 

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╚═════《✧》═════╝+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒

03/01/24/10:58/PM