𝒜 𝐻𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝒜𝒷𝓁𝒶𝓏𝑒

y. phoenix x reader

There was a legend, a fantastical myth that spoke of a being made from fire who would come to cleanse away the frozen winters that plagued the Northlands. The story had been around for centuries, often referring back to the old days when the sun shone brightly above and the land was fertile, not choked by the frozen weather.

It was said that he would come from the mountains, freed from the ashes spread around the cave beneath the one of the great peaks by an unsuspecting traveler. His ashes were supposedly made from the dying fire of the phoenix, only accessed by the thing that created it: flames. 

No one knew where this cave was, and many had tried to find it, with no such luck. The phoenix was hard to find, but still so many believed in him.

You didn't believe in the Legend of the Pheonix. If this fiery being was alive, or was said to return then why hadn't he? To you, a legend was only a legend. It didn't help that everywhere you went there was some form of worship to the deity, some form of statue or reference to him.

He didn't exist and he was the bane of your existence. You couldn't stand to hear any more theories from your family about this phoenix, it only reminded you that life was unbearable, and the only hope was in a false being who was only a myth.

It was ironic to you how everyone thought about fire and life the being brought to everyone when all they had and knew was cold, harsh, and unforgiving winter. Fire had no place in the bitterness of an eternal winter, at least that was what you believed.

"The phoenix will save us from this winter, with his fiery wings that will melt the frozen and unfertile ground. Everyone believes he will save us, so why don't you Y/N?" Your father was glaring down at you, unappreciative of your resentment for the phoenix deity he, and everyone else you knew, worshipped.

You could only scoff, gathering your tools for hunting. The land was unfertile, yes, but there were still animals who lived off the frozen plains nearby. There was a whole area where life flourished despite the odds, inhabiting the mountains, plains, and frozen forests.

"Then why hasn't he yet?" You waited politely for a response, but your father could only stutter. You smirked victoriously, "He won't be rising from the ashes of his temple or whatever you believe. All we have is the resources around us, and we need to focus on that, not some fake creature."

Angry red blotches appeared on your father's skin and your mother shook her head in disappointment. They were both always either mad at your contradictions to their own opinions or criticizing of your opposing beliefs, but you didn't really care. His fist was shaking in anger, and your father pointed to the door, "Then find somewhere else to live."

You froze for a moment, then began gathering your things. If they didn't want you here, then so be it. You had other places to go, and their constant disapproval would finally cease to exist. You loved your parents, you did, but they didn't understand reality, or you, they never even tried.

Once your three bags had been packed, clothing, tools, and a few personal items all included, you shouldered the bags, and walked out the door, your parents not even sparing a glance. You were an outcast, one that they wouldn't miss, but then again, not many people would miss you anyways.

Walking through the village was always a nuisance with all the statues and worship towards a false god, but now with your bags packed, you found it all a little more bearable. This was probably because you wouldn't be coming back much anymore, not unless you needed to trade.

The villagers all watched as you passed, as they always did. Their judgement was heavily placed on your shoulders, but you had other things to worry about. In all honesty, you didn't care about much of anything, and it was apparent your blank face and emotions giving away the fact that nothing, besides the matter of the phoenix and your family, bothered you.