Leaving the Orphanage

In the bustling atmosphere of the orphanage, the staff had rallied together to ensure Lori's transition to her new home with Kara would be as smooth as possible once they got the call that Kara's application had been approved a couple of days after the home inspection, just like Rebecca had told her.

As Lori's small suitcase was laid out on a bed, ready to be filled with her belongings, Ms. Rodriguez, a caring staff member who had formed a special connection with her once Lori had settled back in and had been told that the other children were picking on her because of how she looked, took charge of helping with the packing process. She engaged Lori in conversation, aiming to keep the atmosphere light and comforting. It would be a change for Lori, going from a place filled with children to a home where there was just herself, Kara, Lena and Krypto.

"All right, Lori, let's make sure we have everything you need for your new adventure with Kara." Ms. Rodriguez said with a warm smile.

Lori, a mix of excitement and nervousness, nodded eagerly. "I want to bring my teddy bear and my favourite books!"

Ms. Rodriguez chuckled. "Of course, we wouldn't want to forget those." She gathered Lori's beloved teddy bear that was a bit worse for wear with only one eye and a missing nose and carefully selected a few treasured books to tuck into the suitcase.

As Lori watched, her anticipation grew. Ms. Rodriguez, recognizing the significance of this moment, moved with a blend of efficiency and heartfelt care. She folded her clothes neatly, ensuring she had enough for the days ahead and that Kara would possibly buy her some new ones.

"I bet your new room is going to be so cozy." Ms. Rodriguez assured Lori. "And I heard Kara has some surprises waiting for you."

Lori's eyes widened with curiosity and excitement. "Surprises? What kind of surprises?"

Ms. Rodriguez winked, maintaining an air of mystery. "You'll have to find out when you get there. But I'm sure you're going to love them."

With the suitcase packed and zipped, Lori's belongings were ready for the next chapter of her life. Ms. Rodriguez gave Lori a reassuring hug. "I'm going to miss you but I know that you're going to have an amazing time with Kara. She's been so excited to welcome you into her home and as a matter of fact, she is waiting downstairs so she can take you home."

As they made their way to the stairs, Lori's suitcase in hand, the staff members and some of the children offered their heartfelt goodbyes. The orphanage, which had been Lori's home for a significant part of her life, was now preparing to send her off to a new beginning filled with love and family.

The minutes felt like both an eternity and a fleeting moment as Kara checked the time on her phone, occasionally glancing toward the staircase. Finally, the soft patter of footsteps descended the stairs, and Lori, guided by Ms. Rodriguez, came into view. Kara's eyes lit up at the sight of the young girl she had eagerly anticipated bringing into her home.

Lori, filled with a mix of nerves and excitement, rushed over to Kara the second she saw her and threw her small self into Kara's arms. "Kara! You're here!"

"Hey lovely!" Kara greeted warmly with a big hug. "Are you all set and ready to go?"

Lori nodded and dropped to the ground, clutching her teddy bear and the handle of her suitcase. "Yes, Kara. I'm ready."

Kara extended her hand, and Lori took it, their connection solidifying with that simple gesture.

Ms. Rodriguez offered a reassuring smile, as she watched the way Lori glanced up at her new parent.

"Thank you for everything." Kara said to her with gratitude shining in her eyes.

Ms. Rodriguez nodded, her voice filled with warmth. "Take good care of each other. Lori is lucky to have found a home with you."

Kara nodded. "Actually I think I'm the lucky one." She said as she walked Lori out to Frank who was waiting for them.

"Hello sir." Lori greeted Frank as he opened the door.

"Greetings young one." Frank tipped his hat down at her and closed the door after Kara got in.

"Home please, Frank." Kara instructed as she belted Lori in then herself.

Frank pulled away from the orphanage and drove them back to the house where Lena was patiently waiting along with Sam, Alex and Reign, for their return. Stopping the car, he let them out and waited until they were in the building before he drove off to go run some errands.