Chapter One: The Vow

Notes: Check out my new Tumblr, Mari_Novak. I literally just made it, so it's pretty empty for now, but asks are open.

Just as a quick note: I reference Aizawa as teaching a criminal law class to the third-years. I know that in most Japanese schools, homeroom teachers only teach homeroom because they actually manage their students' lives sort of like an academic advisor. I gave him this class mainly so that he is doing something other than just haunting UA during the year prior to Midoriya and co. since he expelled his whole class. Also, I think it's something he would be knowledgeable about since as an underground hero, he probably has more involvement with law enforcement than daylight heroes. I also think it's a suitably boring, low-stimulation subject where he could sort of just stand there and read off of slides and assign readings, which is something he might be attracted to if he absolutely had to teach a class.

No warnings for this chapter, enjoy!

---

"No."

"No?"

Izuku looked down at his feet and tried to stay firm in his mind that this was not how he wanted to do things. Accepting this offer would only serve to prove Katsuki and all the others right about him. About everyone like him.

"No."

All Might looked at him, mouth open slightly, likely from shock. "I thought you said you wanted to be-"

"I will be a hero," he asserted, raising his eyes again to look at the hero before him. In that moment though he just looked like a man, someone people would pass by without a second glance. Someone who perhaps one day, long ago, was just like Izuku. "But I can't accept your quirk."

"Why?" he asked, obviously bewildered. "I don't understand."

"I-" he hesitated slightly before continuing, part of him still unsure of his decision. "Do you have any idea what it would have meant to me? If I had been able to see a hero like me out there? I know the population is going down, but... there might be some other quirkless kid out there, you know?"

All Might regained his composure, but his eyes looked far away, as if he could see something that Izuku could not. "I do."

He placed a hand on his chest, feeling his own heartbeat for a moment. It had been racing for what felt like all day, but now it was finally starting to calm down as his body came to terms with his rash decision. He hoped to every god out there that he wouldn't regret it. "I have to be a hero for them," he said firmly, trying to ignore the press of tears in his eyes. "I can't do that if I'm operating on a borrowed quirk. Please try to understand, sir."

Izuku didn't see the effect his words had on All Might, his eyes trained on the ground as he bowed at the waist, silently begging the man to let the subject be. Still, he could hear the awe in his voice as he responded, "Very well, young Midoriya. If this is how you wish to do things... I will do what I can to help."

He shot up immediately, staring at the imposingly tall figure in front of him. Even outside of his hero form, he still seemed to block the setting sun with his enormity. "Really?"

"On one condition," he stated, raising a finger to demonstrate. "I will offer One for All to you again before the UA entrance exam. I won't make any other offers until that point, but after that, your choice may become sealed. This is not something I can afford to wait on long, as I'm sure you understand now."

"I do," he promised, "And my decision won't change."

All Might smiled, and suddenly Midoriya could see the hero shining clearly through the man, even without the costume and musculature.