- Eighth -

Jungkook yawned until his jaw dropped. Saturday night had been pretty intense, maybe he'd got a bit carried away. He'd come home late, his dress covered in blood. He'd slept all Sunday, but it didn't seem to be enough. Between his work and his nights out, his body was struggling to keep up.

He walked lazily through the corridors of the company where he worked, responding briefly when someone greeted him. He'd been working here for almost two years, but he hadn't got close to anyone yet, apart from Lia, but that was only because their desks were next to each other. Jungkook wasn't much of a social person. He'd much rather stay at home than go out drinking with colleagues. Especially as his cabaret activities also limited his evenings. So everyone knew each other here, and they often went out after work. But without Jungkook. He wasn't part of any group.

He arrived at his office, still looking a little sleepy. Lia had already arrived, and she gave him a big smile when she saw him. He settled in quickly, throwing his bag at his feet, then dropped into his chair.

"You look even worse than you did last week, Jungkook." Lia remarked. "You know, weekends are made for resting."

Jungkook gave a weak smile at her mockery.

"Yeah, I plead guilty. I clearly didn't get enough rest this weekend." he conceded.

The young man looked at his desk both exhausted and disgusted. He hated his life. This job bored him to death, he felt like he was working himself to death for nothing. He also hated the outfit he had to wear, the shirt was too tight for him and the tie was suffocating him. He was dying to loosen it, but it wouldn't look professional. And here it was sink or swim. If you showed any weakness, they wouldn't hesitate to fire you. After all, there would always be someone to replace you. So if Jungkook wanted to keep his job, he had to stay in line.

Yoongi had already suggested that he give up the job and come and work at the cabaret. Even if it wasn't open during the day, there was always something to do. But Jungkook had refused. For two reasons. Firstly, because the pay would never match what he got at his clothing company, and he still wanted to be financially comfortable. And secondly, because it gave him a good cover. Jungkook wasn't stupid, he knew that what he did at weekends was dangerous, and that he wasn't immune to being caught. But a model office worker would be harder to suspect. It was a security he couldn't give up. Not for the moment.

So he lazily took out the documents he needed and spread them out on his desk. After all, he had a presentation in just over a week, so he had no time to lose.

"Oh by the way, Jungkook." Lia continued, switching on her computer. "Are you still single?"

The young man stopped and arched an eyebrow. Why did she ask?

"Um, yes. Why?"

The young woman smiled.

"Have you seen Mina from accounting? I've heard she thinks you're very cute..."

Jungkook refrained from rolling his eyes. Why was settling down colleagues the favourite pastime of women these days? Especially as women weren't his thing. But he didn't want to tell her that. Being gay was taboo. Especially if he wanted to keep his job.

"That's nice of you, but I'd rather stay single for the time being." He replied simply.

"Oh, okay not prob."

Silence fell again, and the two went back to work. But Jungkook couldn't help thinking. A boyfriend? With the life he was leading, he knew it was impossible. Besides, he'd given up on happiness a long time ago. He knew that no one would want him as he really was. A man who had given up on life, with forbidden desires. He could never be completely himself with anyone. So love was far beyond his reach.

***

One week. It had been a week since one of his men had been found dead in a hotel room, and Taehyung couldn't get the scene out of his head. He wasn't disgusted, no, quite the opposite. He remained absolutely fascinated by what he had seen. These days, such beautifully orchestrated murders were rare. There was such passion, such devotion, Taehyung couldn't help but be captivated.

Taehyung loved killing. He really did. It was the only reason he did this job. The money he made from it was just a bonus. But he'd never met anyone as deranged as he was. Whether it was his employees or his rivals, nobody thought like him, nobody understood him. It was simple, his days were all about sex and murder. But he did both independently. What if he could find someone crazy enough to do both with him?

But for now, he simply had to do with what he had. He was currently getting dressed, as Celia began to emerge from her sleep. She had a smile stuck to her lips. Taehyung had called her back to spend the night with him. And she was happy, because that surely meant that the man was interested in her. And she wasn't going to let that chance go by.

"I don't understand, Tae, why do you live in a small flat like this?" she asked in a small, innocent voice. "You could be living in a palace."

The man arched an eyebrow, but didn't give her a second glance. Instead, he continued to get dressed, with his usual nonchalance.

"And may I ask when I asked your opinion?" he spat.

The smile on Celia's face disappeared instantly, and she swallowed.

"Ah... I..."

"Don't forget your place, Celia." he continued, without giving her a chance to explain. "You mean nothing to me, the only thing that brings us together is sex. I don't expect anything else from you, so spare me your little domestic discussions."

He then opened a drawer containing around twenty luxury watches. His gaze flicked through them one by one before finally grabbing one and slipping it around his wrist.

"And you'll do me the pleasure of leaving. I'll let you spend the night here, but don't abuse my courtesy. This isn't your home and it never will be. So get dressed and leave."

The young woman could only comply. She didn't understand. How could Taehyung be so unapproachable? He always seemed so far away. She thought she could break down the walls he had built around him, that she could finally have access to his thoughts, to understand him better, to be able to love him. But every time she thought she'd achieved her goal, he brought her back to harsh reality. The one she refused to admit. Kim Taehyung wasn't made for ordinary mortals.

She dressed quickly, glancing quickly at the man, but she could only note with disappointment that he wasn't paying the slightest attention to her. So she finished getting ready and left the flat, without either of them saying a word.

And just as he was about to leave too, Taehyung's phone started ringing. The man grabbed it, and immediately picked up when he realised it was Jimin.

"Yes?"

"Taehyung? We've found him. The one who killed Lim Juwon."

Taehyung's eyes widened, before a wide smile spread across his lips. He even felt like laughing.

"Ah, perfect."