Prologue

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the quiet suburban neighborhood, a sense of unease settled over Jeniffer standing on her balcony.Jeniffer had been watching the weather shift all afternoon, from the crisp blue skies of morning to the ominous clouds that now loomed overhead, heavy with the promise of a storm.

She clutched the railing tightly, her fingers white against the wrought iron, as a gust of wind whipped her hair around her face. The air was charged with electricity, a palpable tension that matched the turmoil in Jeniffer's heart.

Her gaze drifted to the empty driveway below, where her husband Jonathan's car should have been parked by now. They had plans for dinner tonight, a rare moment of respite in their busy lives. Jeniffer had been looking forward to it all day, the chance to sit down together and catch up, to share a meal and reconnect.

But as the minutes ticked by and the sky darkened overhead, her hope began to wane. Jonathan was running late, as he often was these days, lost in his work and the demands of his job. Jeniffer knew better than to expect him home on time, but still, she couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment.

With a heavy sigh, she turned away from the balcony and retreated into the dimly lit interior of the house. The living room was empty, the silence oppressive in its weight. Jeniffer's footsteps echoed on the hardwood floors as she made her way through the familiar space, a sense of foreboding creeping over her.

And then she saw it.

A flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye, a shadow darting across the wall. She froze, her heart pounding in her chest, as she scanned the room for any sign of intrusion. But there was nothing, no sound except for the distant rumble of thunder and the creak of the old house settling around her.

Trembling, Jeniffer forced herself to take a step forward, her hands clammy against the fabric of her dress. She knew she was alone in the house, had checked and double-checked every lock and bolt before settling in for the evening. And yet, the feeling of being watched lingered, a cold hand clutching at her throat.

With a sudden burst of courage, Jeniffer crossed the room and flung open the closet door, half expecting to find an intruder lurking within. But the closet was empty, the darkness swallowing her up as she stood there, trembling and alone.

It was then that Jeniffer realized the truth.

She was not alone in the house.

But whoever—or whatever—was watching her remained hidden in the shadows, waiting patiently for their moment to strike.