The First Pieces

Aizawa wandered around the halls of U.A., in a better mood than usual. For once, in all of his years of teaching, he had finished all of his paperwork for the day. Graded all his assignments, filled out all of his reports, and had celebrated by strutting the halls like he owned the whole school.

He thought about what he should do for the rest of his day, some options had to be struck out on principle, due to the pouring rain as a result of the thunderstorm that raged outside. Maybe he could try and find a cat cafe where he wasn't already a regular. Maybe he could check up on Class 2-A, see how they're holding up with everything they've gone through. Or perhaps he could sit and watch a movie with Eri, ask Nemuri to make her hot chocolate or something like that.

Kids like hot chocolate right?

But he paused his train of thought when a white flash from outside caught his eye. The snow-white hair was impossible to miss on the training ground. Haku Setsuken hunched over, hands on his knees while he panted, rain pounding down on his thin frame. Vlad King stood beside him, soaking wet in the storm, telling the boy something Aizawa couldn't make out. The student rose back up and held out his arms. Snowflakes the size of trashcan lids erupted out of his hands and flew at record speed to a target on the other side of the training ground. One pierced the target dead center, two more sliced another target into three pieces by approaching it from different angles, and the last snowflake struck the stand the target rested on before nailing it to the ground. The boy threw out and extra snowflake, rain casting a line of its direction, before slicing another target in half and returning back to the student's hand.

Not bad, but not impressive either.

Aizawa wondered why Vlad was training his ex-student, but he assumed he'd get an answer soon when Vlad caught him staring at their tutoring session through the window. He turned to Setsuken, patted him on the shoulder, probably told the teen to get some rest, and marched right to the nearest door into the building. His hair was plastered against his face, and the teacher left wet footprints on the tile floor as he walked.

Vlad nearly stomped right past the other teacher, "Didn't think you'd be so invested in your former student."

Aizawa's eyes narrowed, "I'm not invested, just intrigued that you would waste your time training someone who wasn't in your class."

"I'm not wasting anyone's time," Vlad's words were firm, "He's already plenty strong, he just needs a chance to prove himself."

"Already biased, Vlad," Aizawa muttered, pettiness seeping into his words, "I wouldn't get my hopes up."

"I think you're the one who's biased, Eraserhead," Vlad pushed past him, "You kick them out before they have a chance to actually show what they're made of."

Aizawa turned on his heel to address his coworker, but was cut off, "That 'Quirk Assessment Test' of yours is not as impartial as you like to think."

Aizawa was gobsmacked. Vlad had always disagreed with his teaching methods but usually kept his beliefs under wraps. The blood hero's comment crawled under Aizawa's skin and rattled around his head for the next hour. Everyone, especially Shinsou, noticed his sour mood.

"What crawled up your ass and died?" Shinsou questioned with a smirk.

"Language," Aizawa usually didn't care if students cursed or not, but he didn't want the boy's foul mouth rubbing off on Eri, "Vlad has taken a shine to a student I expelled. Began training him. Don't see the point to it."

Shinsou raised an eyebrow, "Isn't the point of expelling him to force him to push himself to get better?"

"Well, Vlad also let some of his personal beliefs slide through," the teacher went on, "Mentioned how I was too harsh on new students, and that my quirk assessment test was biased."